Frame Slider Question - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Question Frame Slider Question

I have a question. I'm planning on several more track days this year and I'm considering installing frame sliders. I'm not thrilled with the idea of cutting my body panels for the installation and before I proceed I would like know if anyone has installed these. Also, if you have had the unfortunate experience of going down with sliders, did they significantly reduce the damage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 05:35 AM

Yes, they do work well. I had a lowside and they saved a lot! I have watched numerous people crash and the bikes that have sliders can often be ridden the rest of the day. Don't go fancy with button tops, or sliders that double as tie down points etc. Get the plain old ones such as Intuitive, they flex to take the impact and then slide. If you have seen the aluminum ones, they look nice but dig in or break off.

CbrBob
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 09:17 AM

There are also sliders out there that don't require you to cut your fairings. Check out ebay to see what is available for your bike.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2004, 08:55 AM

Be careful of those sliders that dont bolt directlt through the frame into the motor. Most have a bracket that will bend back and usually break or cause more damage. Others are a shorty slider that subs as a fairing bolt (5mm threads!!!!) In other words, the just break when you just tip over.

CbrBob
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2004, 09:10 AM
Dad

Quote:
Originally posted by cbrbob
Be careful of those sliders that dont bolt directlt through the frame into the motor. Most have a bracket that will bend back and usually break or cause more damage. Others are a shorty slider that subs as a fairing bolt (5mm threads!!!!) In other words, the just break when you just tip over.
His advice on this is probably as good as it gets. Being a track coach, he sees sliders tested on a regular basis. GO BOB!

He can likely shed light on some other bike mysteries as well.

Keeping the "Hap" in "Happy Holidays"!

Regime change begins at home.

Blind patriotism is worse than no patriotism.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2004, 07:21 PM

Talking

Ok bad question... Anybody know of a manufacturer that makes them for an EX250... I hear ya "WHY!!!" Because I'll literally be learning to ride again after my knee heals up and I don't doubt that I'll go down once or twice

I'll Sleep when I'm Dead....

Spread the love. Literally.

My hoes are motivated and my teeth are gold plated

Friends help you move...
Real friends help you move bodies!

“Next time I want to borrow your balls, I’LL ASK!!!!”
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2004, 12:12 AM
Dad

Quote:
Originally posted by Gottico
Ok bad question... Anybody know of a manufacturer that makes them for an EX250... I hear ya "WHY!!!" Because I'll literally be learning to ride again after my knee heals up and I don't doubt that I'll go down once or twice
Intuitive is a brand I've heard of. Don't know if it will help but here's a link. Good luck.

http://inturace.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/page26.html

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-27-2004, 07:43 PM

Frame Sliders!

I have been wanting to put sliders in my 01 zx6r, but all the guys i ride with say that in a higher speed lay down they can break the frame or engine mount where they are mounted! What is some input on this?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 01:34 AM
Dad

Re: Frame Sliders!

Quote:
Originally posted by izzybo69
I have been wanting to put sliders in my 01 zx6r, but all the guys i ride with say that in a higher speed lay down they can break the frame or engine mount where they are mounted! What is some input on this?
Quote:
Originally posted by cbrbob Yes, they do work well. I had a lowside and they saved a lot! I have watched numerous people crash and the bikes that have sliders can often be ridden the rest of the day. Don't go fancy with button tops, or sliders that double as tie down points etc. Get the plain old ones such as Intuitive, they flex to take the impact and then slide. If you have seen the aluminum ones, they look nice but dig in or break off.
Quote:
Originally posted by Dad His advice on this is probably as good as it gets. Being a track coach, he sees sliders tested on a regular basis. GO BOB!

Last edited by Dad; 01-28-2004 at 01:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode