Chain and sprockets? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-25-2003, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

Chain and sprockets?

I have an '01 Kawi ZX9R and I don't know whether to get a 520 or 530 chain kit. Also, for sprockets, I have already gone down one tooth up front, so how many should I go up in back? I have heard 2, is this right? I am looking for more power and acceleration.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-25-2003, 02:00 PM

I did a 520 chain on my ZX-7R my buddy is running a 520 on his GSX-R 1000 so even though the box for the chain says 750cc max I think it will handle the 900cc motor, btw he and I are running RK X-ring racing chains. I am running rethenal sprockets I was down one up front and up 2 in the rear and WOW it was hard to keep the front end down. Id say depending on what your looking for stay with one down up front thats like the universal works with everything sproket change because it helps acceleration without taking off too much top speed. When I changed my sptockets I went from being able to burry my speedo at 180 MPH to just being able to hit about 155 MPH indicated. Now I got there a lot faster than I used to infact I could beat my buddies 2001 R1 but he took me on the top end. The only way Id do 2 up in the back is if you were gonna be racing on a tight course and needed the extra acceleration or if you wanna rip some sick wheelies in 3rd gear. For the street though 1 down is fine, I made the mistake of trying to make my bike as fast as possible on the street and I got into wheelies and all that and ended up spending 2 weeks inthe hospital when I crashed, the ZX9 is plenty fast, Id just get new Rethenal sprockets and an RK 520 chain all together should cost about $180 remember though you have to replace both sprockets. Hope this helps.

Aaron Williams
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-25-2003, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Dude, thanks a lot. That was exactly what I was looking for. I'm either going to go with RK or D.I.D. Thanks again....now it's onto parts411.com to order this stuff.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-25-2003, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Sorry to hear about your wreck and where you are subsequently located. Get better and don't worry: you have learned your lesson. I was doing the same shit on the street and that's what happened to me. When you get back on, you will have a MUCH greater appreciation for your bike.....at least I did.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-25-2003, 03:59 PM

Im in Rochester NY, I got into a nasty tankslapper coming down from a standup at about 75 MPH and hit a street sign. Broke my leg in 3 places broke 3 ribs lacerated my kidney and liver and had a concusion (not fun) Im gonna keep my need for speed on the track Im only 19 and would like to see 25 maybe 30 someday
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-25-2003, 05:19 PM

I wouldnt mess too much with the front sprocket, sometimes clearence problems occur, and most people dont realize changing a front sprockt just one tooth is like changing the rear 3 or 4 teeth, plus the chain has a tighter radius to bend and may create a little more wear...
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-25-2003, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by spitz
I wouldnt mess too much with the front sprocket, sometimes clearence problems occur, and most people dont realize changing a front sprockt just one tooth is like changing the rear 3 or 4 teeth, plus the chain has a tighter radius to bend and may create a little more wear...
Good point the only reason I would do a front sprocket is if I wasnt going to change the chain since going up 2-3 teeth on the rear sprocket can cause your chain to end up being too short if you are going to do the chain conversion and your going to be getting a nice new chain stick with the stock # of teeth up front and go up 2-3 in the rear.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-25-2003, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Aaron, glad to hear you made it through. Mine was all back injury: high-sided and came down back first after 50 mph diagonal into air, 15-20 feet up, and then splat onto pavement. Major concussion (brain swelling, etc.), but couldn't walk for a couple of weeks due to muscle and soft tissue injury to back. Only one broken bone: thumb, aka throttle thumb.

Try and aim for higher than 25-30 years old, bro.

Spitz, are you telling me to just put on the chain and the rear sprocket? What are you talking about when you talk about clearance problems with the front sprocket? I just want to know/learn.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-25-2003, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wheelie123
Try and aim for higher than 25-30 years old, bro.

Spitz, are you telling me to just put on the chain and the rear sprocket? What are you talking about when you talk about clearance problems with the front sprocket? I just want to know/learn.

Yea that was a joke lol, hes saying that if you drop a tooth up front the chain has a smaller diameter sprocket to wrap around and it can cause problems with clearence on the swingarm mainly, so if your changing your chain just get a stock size front sprocket (stock meaning the same number of teeth which for you is a 16 tooth sprocket, but your gonna get one that fits a 520 chain) Now for the rear sprocket again need one that fits a 520 chain but were gonna go with a 43 or 44 tooth sprocket. The reason that most people do front sprockets on stock bikes is 1) its cheap usually $10-15 2) the stock chain is rivited and has no master link so you cant change its length and by putting on a larger rear sprocket the diameter of that sprocket gets bigger and you can run out of adjustment on the rear wheel and get to the point where there isnt enough chain to wrap around it, now with going down a tooth up front all you have to do is take the slack out with the adjustment no problem. On most sportbikes there isnt a clearance problem but it can cause more wear on the chain since you are wraping it around a smaller diameter.

Use this rear sprocket
http://www.parts411.com/acb/showdetl...71089&CATID=71

and this front sprocket
http://www.parts411.com/acb/showdetl...71094&CATID=71

and this chain
http://www.parts411.com/acb/showdetl...23145&CATID=25

Make sure to specify 16 teeth in the front and whatever you make your mind up on the back 43 or 44 in the item message box when you order the stuff.

Oh and just to let you know I looked up the parts diagrams for the 2001 zx9-r so thats how I got your stock sprocket sizes

Front: 16 tooth
Rear: 41 tooth

Just so you know Im not pulling numbers out of my ass.

Aaron

Last edited by AaronWilliams; 12-25-2003 at 05:52 PM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-25-2003, 05:55 PM

Basically yea.. Its amazing how many people think its the same to take or add a tooth on the front is the same as doing it on the rear. I always get "one tooth is one tooth" ... Uh yea it is but when you look at how many teeth cover 360 degrees on both sprockets taking or adding a teeth on one with only a few teeth is going to make a huge impact compared to adding a few on the rear... I mean if you know any kind of basic math you can figure how much of a difference it makes, usually its like 3 teeth on the rear to +/- 1 on the front...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode