Wheel polishing - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2003, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Cool Wheel polishing

Hi guys, I'm a newbie here and was wondering if anyone has a guide to polishing wheels as I'm thinking about doing mine now it's winter. I've read a couple of posts on the subject but cannot find a detailed guide as to how you go about it. Can anyone help me out here as I'm a bit wary in case something goes tits up and I have to lash out for a new wheel.
Any help will be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-29-2003, 03:18 PM

Heres the deal...

1. Clean the wheel very well, the cleaner the wheel the better it will strip. Personally I used a rag with gas.

2. Tape off the center and spokes of the wheel as well as the tire.

3. Brush on the aircraft stripper to the areas you would like to remove the paint. (Personally I just did the lips of my 01 f4i, I have been told the center and spokes are much more difficult)

4. Allow the stripper to work, I think it is like 15 min to set-up. Just read the instructions on the can.

5. Srape \ Wipe the paint off the wheel

6. Polish with whatever polish floats your boat. I used a Megeurs buffing compound I had left from my car grooming days. However, Mothers polish seems to be the polish I hear of guys using primarily.

Notes:

First, I was under the impression this would be easier to do than it actually was based on what i had read on forums like this. Not to scare you away but plan on working on it for a few hours a wheel. Also, plan on having to apply the stripper multiple times to get all the paint off.

After the second application i had the vast majority of the paint removed, however their were a few spots where it was extra tricky. I used masking tape, however I would recomend duct tape or something a little tougher. I would have liked to apply the striper a third time, however my tape was getting pretty worn from the first and second strippings and i didn't want to risk messing up my nice clean edge so I just finished it off wet sanding the remaining spots (major work)

To remove the paint after i applied the stipper i broke an old ice scraper up (plastic about .25" thick) and used the straight edge to scrape, then finished up with steel wool.

Good luck,

reply if you have any questions, otherwise look into old posts for more info

Also I added a picture that I took in our garage that is kinda bad. However you can see what the wheel will look like. For reference the wheel of the car is about 10min old from the dealership. They shine pretty nice and I did almost no polishing. (less than 10 min)

Last edited by bridomine99; 11-29-2003 at 03:25 PM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2004, 07:28 AM

Thumbs up

I just finished mine and they came out great. I bought a buffing kit for my drill at Sears which had the jewlers rouge and some pads for like $10.00. Be prepared to spend time buffing. The taping took longer than the stripping but it was well worth it.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2004, 12:20 AM

well im going to be doing the same thing. ive been polishing all my
pieces i can on my bike. Ive been starting with 150 on the ruff metal
if not ruff then starting at 400wet,600wet,800wet,1000wet,1200wet,1500wet then 2000wet.
after all that i use mothers aluminum polish my rear pegs and gas cap and triple tree are like
mirrors. im going to be doing my rims soon.

this way takes alot of time but you get the smoothest look.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2004, 06:42 PM

My CBR F3 before

After

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2004, 09:02 PM

http://www.schiebel.ca/Polishing/fra...ishing_101.htm

I used this link for my work. This guy did a great job on the bike and the page.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2004, 06:32 PM

Nova5757....like the finished product....nice shine, they look great...When you did them, did you remove the wheels from the bike or leave them on? Thinking about this, but don't really want to remove the wheels.....
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2004, 09:04 PM

Left mine on.......the rear is easier with a swingarm stand though. Kinda tough to spin otherwise.

PS: Gas Caps come out sweet also for those who are up for it. My current project is the miror brackets. That is kinda turning into a pain in the rear though.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-07-2004, 05:40 AM

fastman... i found it was easier to leave the wheels on the bike. I used duct tape to cover the tires around the edges of the rim so the paint remover didn't eat the rubber. Lets see some pics when you're done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode