Chrome or Polished? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-21-2003, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Chrome or Polished?

I want to have my rims chromed or polished and wanted to know what you guys and gals suggest. I have been told that it is a real pain to keep them up if they are polished. Is this true? If I go with chrome what kind of $ are we talking about? Does chrome eventually bubble and if so does it take a long time for this to start? Any advice would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2003, 06:18 AM

they are both good, i use to polish frames, swingarms, anything aluminum... rims are a pain in the ass... i would get them polished, cause if you chrome it will eventually start to chip, once it starts chipping you have to strip it all down and redo it... chipping will depend on how hard you ride. one guy from ruff ryders out in NYC, was always beating on his gsxr 1100...every year or so he would be re-chroming his rims.. chrome is easier to clean, thats about it...

Once the rims are polished it easy to bring the shine back,its just a pain in the ass the first time you polish it. if its wet just wipe it down after your done riding, or just ride until its dry.. if its dirty wet it (hose it down) then wipe it down.. to keep it really shiney once every 2 wks, clean it with a soft metal polish, you could use mothers wax but it has abrasives in it.. but it does make it shiney!!! but if you look really close you could see the scratches it leaves... many people wont notice it, but since i was trained on what to look for when polishing i could see all the flaws... some people will tell you..." just get it clear coated" do not do this, cause if its not fully clean, or it chips, youll have to strip it down and redo it... if you dont strip it down, it will turn yellow. its just more of a pain in the ass!!!

If you really want a longs lasting coat try powder coating...

hope this helped..
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2003, 03:44 PM

I'd go with polished. Chrome looks better than polished when it's BRAND NEW, but after the first couple chips it looks lame.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2003, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input guys.
Darren
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-31-2003, 03:49 PM

I don't know...

There is something to be said for easy maintainance, and looking cool, without spending all day polishing. I have a bike that is all about the chrome and polish. I have been getting more and more things chromed, because it looks brighter, and it is so much easier to keep shiny. If you want a brilliantly shiny bike, all "bling-bling" and all, you will be spending an hour or two every week or two, re-polishing the parts... It's so much easier to just wash and ride... Even dirty, the chrome looks better...
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2003, 11:30 AM

Why does everybody say that chrome chips so easy. Ive never found that to be true. I have had 3 bikes with chrome wheels and never once had one chip off on me. I supose if you ride in the gravel all the time it would happen, but not on the street. If you take care of it chrome will outlast any other finish, but you have to take care when cleaning (no harsh chemicals), also when mounting or having you tires mounted take care not to chip the edge or mar it and you won't have any problems.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-03-2003, 06:42 AM

I was also told by the shop that did my chroming, that there is a wide variety of different qualities of service. There is really cheap chrome, that flakes off, and really good chrome. Take car bumpers from the 70's. Most of them do not chip. They may rust, if it's on steel, but they don't chip. This is because the chrome is THICK. So if you get a good chroming job, it will last...
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-03-2003, 03:41 PM

As long as it is a good chrome job because there are some bad ones out there it should last a very long time and clean up is much easier than polish.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2003, 02:31 AM

If chrome is so good and long lasting, why do most places only guarantee it for 1 yr????????? Hmmmm.......not to mention the weight added to the bike itself. If you polish, be prepared to spend some time working on the wheels, but they are a lot easier to clean up than painted wheels!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2003, 05:27 AM

Do any of the places that sell polished billet parts even warranty them at all, most of them you might get 90 days. Chrome places can't or wont warranty wheels due to the unseen conditons the riders may put them through. I had a friend that had plated wheels and 3 years later the chrome peeled and they warranted it because it was a process flaw and not road damage. As far as the weight the wheel has to be striped of the powercoat and polished before plating so you have material removed by that and the chrome dosn't weight any more than the paint that was on there originaly. I've polished my the parts on my bikes for 20 years and had some chromed and if you don't want to re-polish every month or so and can afford it go with the chrome, just make sure you go to a reputable place to have it done because you know what they say "you get what you pay for".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode