headlight bulbs??? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-21-2003, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation headlight bulbs???

ive seen dozens of diffrent types of "white headlights" for my bike on the net, just want a few opinions on which ones are the "whitest and brightest" without converting to H.I.D.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-21-2003, 01:33 PM
Dad

I would not change wattage from factory recommended. I have seen reflectors discolored from excess heat over time and worst case, burn marks to actual melting of lenses from excess heat. It's not worth it.

What I have seen a lot of is poorly aimed headlights. A careful adjustment of the vertical, raising it a half turn at a time until the high beam just lights the road, on the verge of being too high, has proven to be good for me. It brings the low beam in just right, not too high or so high that it was bothersome to other drivers. A good indication of that problem is if you are lighting the backs of people's heads in front of you or shining brightly in their rear view mirrors. If so, lower it a little. JMO, good luck.

Keeping the "Hap" in "Happy Holidays"!

Regime change begins at home.

Blind patriotism is worse than no patriotism.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-21-2003, 04:16 PM

Thumbs up

Phillips Vision Plus are great. Its not only the brightness of the light that makes them a good choice, its the geometry of the beam. Low is a wide flood of light in front of you with a very distinct cutoff point so it wont shine too high. The high beam forms a circle on the road up ahead of the low beam.

Another thing I did to get more light is cut a little detent in the low/high rocker switch where it has a mid point between low and high, where both beams are on at once. With the detent the switch will stay in the middle and both beams are on at the same time. This is useful for those really dark roads.

I use the stock wattage 60/55.

Last edited by nick_nolastname; 03-21-2003 at 04:24 PM.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-21-2003, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

any one think this is a good deal??? JKL Simulated HID kit
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-23-2003, 02:58 PM

Ummm, $189? No.

I use 90W bulbs though stock is 55W. This is on a GSX-R. Never had a problem. OK, the battery will go dead a little sooner if you leave the lights on with the motor off...

I use Lockhart Phillips bright white. They are extremely visible, not just me seeing the road but other people seeing me coming. Adds a lot to that sense of security. If I had an R6 or an RC51 or an F4i, I would not only get a pair of these, but I would do the trick the guy above spoke about for low/high beams at the same time, or at least ride with high beams all the time. Riding around with only one light on is asking for trouble. Riding is dangerous enough without cutting one of your lamps off.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-23-2003, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by yzfR666
any one think this is a good deal??? JKL Simulated HID kit
Dude those are just poser blue tinted light bulbs, dont do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode