chrome wheels . . .hmm . . . - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-12-2003, 06:18 AM Thread Starter

Question chrome wheels . . .hmm . . .

Okay Fam, I see that a lot of yall are big on polishing, but you must admit chrome looks great. Now, I was just sitting here thinking, for the price of getting my wheels chromed, anywhere between $400-800, is it really worth it? Here's the reason why I ask. Companies today are actually hustling the sportbike world. In the exchange process, they charge a midrange price to take your old wheels and give you a set, which you have no idea where they came from, in which are chrome. Then they sell your wheels to the next person to keep the hustle going. Not only that they only stand behind their product for a year max. Is it worth it? Should I just buy some PM or RC Component wheels and sell my old ones on Ebay? For $2000, I JUST CAN'T DO IT!!! What do you guys think? It's ashame that the price of after market sportbike wheels cost more than a set of 20" wheels for a car, and you at least get 4 of those. I guess I'm just venting...holla back!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-12-2003, 10:24 AM

I have talked to a couply of placing about having mine chromed and they say some people that give you old rims for your new ones are doing it so you want have to wait on the process of the chroming.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-12-2003, 10:28 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
How long does the process take? I worked in an electroplating plant for printed circuit boards and it didn't take too long to do a bunch of those. We were using copper and gold, but is chrome really that much harder to plate? Is that even the process they use?

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-12-2003, 10:52 AM

Send a message via AIM to duessel
You are right, they exchange them so you do not have to wait. Now, your frame on the other hand, you will have to get done since they cannot exchange them. There is a kid I ride with that has over $6,000 in chrome on his '96 ZX-7R in the last year and he is getting more done. The chrome is worth more than the bike. It is all preference. If you like polished look and are ok at polishing, do it. Since they only guarantee them for a year, what happens after that. All that money, and you might have to replace it.

I will keep on polishing, and spend my money on other things for right now. Someday, I might get my wheels chromed, but that is the extent of it.

My

http://www.bikerplanet.net
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-12-2003, 10:54 AM

The bigger companys I have talked to and seen on the net have said 3 to 6 weeks. Then you will have a wheel that will look like a window and all you have to do is spit shine
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-12-2003, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

chrome wheels . . .hmm . . .

Excellent point, low maintenence is for me. It's just that I have not one, but 2 bikes to do (mine and the wifes 750)!!! Anyway, I will probably go with the chrome, but I just wish I could keep my stock wheels too for racing purposes!!! My 1000 may be clean, chromed, polished, and have custom parts all over it, but don't sleep, I do go to the track and run my bitch too!!! Thanks for the info!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode