Power Commader Custom Map - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums
View Poll Results: How many would consider a PC custom map?
Already satisfied with power gain 5 20.83%
Would consider but too expensive 8 33.33%
Absolutely need the extra power 11 45.83%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2003, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Question Power Commader Custom Map

How many of you have a custom map for your bike? Is it worth the money to get it done? I am asking this question because one can download an almost perfect pre-configured map with a 95% accuracy. Should one pay $200 to get the extra 5% of power?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2003, 04:42 PM

custom map

Just got My BlackBird back today and I LOVE it! I had an Akropovic full system and a PC II with dyno-jet's map for it and the bike ran great. Then I decided to get the bike Dyno-tuned because I felt it was running too rich. The base map before tuning showed 121HP at the wheel, and a big dip in power between 5k and 7k, and top end power dropped of at 9500k rpm. After two days of tuning I now have 141HP a very small dip (read unnoticable)at 6k and power reaches peak at7k and stays on until 11.5k. Not bad for $350
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-16-2003, 03:51 AM

Arrow

I do not know where you have arrived at your "95%" figure, but I'll not argue that.

Having a custom map created will provide you with a bike that will perform at it's best. IF you do not want to get the best out of your bike....then leave it stock.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-05-2003, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Carbon Man
Having a custom map created will provide you with a bike that will perform at it's best. IF you do not want to get the best out of your bike....then leave it stock.
Now this brings me to a question that's been bugging me for a while. I was thinking of getting a PC for the F4i, but was warned off by a friend who preached dangers regarding ram air and dynos.

I've had great experiences with dynos, tuning, and cars, where ram air doesn't play such an issue. How much impact will having a dyno tuned bike be with a ram air setup? The way I see it, the dyno can't take into account a pressurised airbox, fan or no, and there might be a risk of running a bit rich after the tune, when on the road.

Anyone got the skinny on this? I'd love to know if this is one of those myths like, "Synthetic oil is bad for your bike."

2001 Honda
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(F4i)
1993 Toyota
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(Series III 3SGTE)
Personal page is
or
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-05-2003, 09:54 AM

Well for the most part (speaking of a gsxr here), the amount of fuel to the injectors (the pulse signal sent to them to keep them open) is controlled by several sensors. One of the sensors is the IAP (Intake Air Pressure) sensor.
This sensor would adjust the fuel flow based on air pressure.

So tuning on the dyno where you do not pressurize the airbox, is really not going to be real far off when the bike is at speed.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-05-2003, 05:07 PM

So the air map auto-adjusts itself..?

I know a lot of various parts of the system do this so you can do all kinds of things, the joys of electronic machines etc., but I thought the idea of a dyno was to get more precision and tell it what to do.

So even with a PC, there is some room for further auto-tuning by the ECU/PC? Ie, for fuel octane, air velocity, air density, etc?

2001 Honda
(F4i)
1993 Toyota

(Series III 3SGTE)
Personal page is
or
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2003, 08:48 PM

the inventor of the power commander tuned my dads s4 foggy and they only gained a few hp, it was kinda not worth it, it just smoothened things up a lot. if i had the money i would do it, but if money could be spent on other things i probably wouldnt..
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2003, 06:51 AM

I had my RC51 dynoed with one of the downloaded maps, and then took the bike in for a custom job. I still gained 4 RWHP and eliminated two big holes in my hp/torque curves. The bike pulls like a train all the way to redline now and for $280.00 it was well worth it.

Air/fuel ratios are so important when making horsepower that your 95% theory is not even close to true.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2003, 06:01 AM

I've heard alot of different theories on a power commander. One thing I want to get straight is what the difference is going to be between mapping a bike with a slip-on and mapping full exhaust. I've heard it's not worth it if you dont have full exhaust. Don't know a whole lot about power commanders....just a bunch of heresay
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2003, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SuperBike Mike
I've heard alot of different theories on a power commander. One thing I want to get straight is what the difference is going to be between mapping a bike with a slip-on and mapping full exhaust. I've heard it's not worth it if you dont have full exhaust. Don't know a whole lot about power commanders....just a bunch of heresay

Most of the time, when you change the input or exhaust of a f/i bike, you will benefit from some sort of tuning (pc-3, ems, yafms, teka, tfi, etc).

You just need to decide how much that you want to spend, and then make sure that you get a custom map created. That way it will get the most from your bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode