polishing? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-04-2003, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

polishing?

i know this thread was probably written like bunch of times but are most bikes polished or chromed? im thinking about doing my rims and whatnot any info would help thankx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-04-2003, 09:22 AM

Send a message via AIM to duessel
I polished the lips of my rims. I am about to do my frame in the next 2 weeks. It is a timely task, but the end result is well worth it.

http://www.bikerplanet.net
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-04-2003, 07:51 PM

Checkout www.cynistercycles.com they can hook you up!!!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2003, 09:45 AM

dont be afraid to take this on......I just finished frame/swingarm/lips.......took me about a solid week to finish. The hardest part was the cast section on the frame...due to the amount of sanding.....the lips are easy...just remeber to use duck tape when tapeing....it is the only tape that doesnt get eatin up by the stripper!
I will be posting pics when i get my beast back together!!!!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2003, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Angry polishing trouble

im having trouble with stripping the anno off the frame... im using easy off OC and i left it on for a good hour and it didnt seem to affect it, so i tried it again but this time i left it go for a good 2 hours, still nothing, so now im trying it 1 more time for an hour then i give up,, any other ppl having problems with EasyOff???
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2003, 08:37 PM

W/ the oven cleaner you need heat for it to work (heard a lot of guys were using a heat gun to get the stuff to work)!!!!!! Goto home depot or another hardware store and find some aircraft stripper. Should be w/ the paints/paint-removal section. It will bubble the anodized finish right off trust me!!!!! Dont use the OC use the stripper! It works!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2003, 07:16 AM

I used aircraft aluminum paint stripper, took all the paint off in about 40 seconds
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2003, 06:32 PM

WAL-MART carries both the Spray Can and the Brush On liquid paste...I used the liquid...Dam that works fast.

Worked like *BLING*BLING* on my 12R

Speakin' of some *BLING*
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2003, 01:48 AM

It took me also about a month of working on and off, but I started with aircraft stipper and then onto sand-paper I started with 220 grit and worked from there I still need to do the rims but the paint is off It will turn out great I get alot of compliments and you stand out I used this web page http://www.usmcpress.com/extremepoli...remepolish.htm as a guide I meet these guys here in Columbia and their bike looked awesome Just take your time and dont rush I rushed mine alittle and it shows..
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-2003, 01:28 PM

I used to work at a custom bike shop here in columbia and we never used any kind of stripper on the frame. started with air sander to take of the rough coats and them wetsanded it the rest of the way. it took me bout a full day on the frame and swingarm and about 2 hours on the lips of the wheels.(we did use airplane stripper on the wheels)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode