Custom Clutch Lever - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-23-2003, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

Custom Clutch Lever

Does anyone know if a clutch lever exists that can be used by the thumb or the first two fingers? I broke my left ring finger last month which resulted in many pins and when they took them out my joints had fused together.

The problem now is I have a permanently curved ring finger which obviously will get in the way of my existing clutch lever. I've heard or thumb operated levers but can't find out much about them.

The only alternative I have right now is to lift my hand off the bar and put it over the lever and squeeze with my good fingers and then lift and set back on the grip. Not a good or safe option.

Any direction would be most welcome. I'm not ready to give up the ride over something as ridiculous as this.

Yes, I already told the doc to cut the finger off. He wouldn't do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-23-2003, 03:42 PM

I'm sorry to hear about your misfortunate incident! Especially when the end result hinder's your passion!

I was watching speed tv this past tuesday and (don't remember which show) saw a custom bike builder and one of his new creations, which, interestingly enough did not have a clutch lever! Wow, cool. It was all part of a intergrated handle that housed the cables in side(that isn't all that new) however, the clutch was engaged and dis-engaged by twisting the handle on the left (like a throttle) I think the builder said this is a fairly new idea, but was spreading rather quickly. I thought it was ingenius, it most defitnitely needs getting used to but they showed footage of the builder riding the bike and he looked quite comfortable with the newly learned controls!

Hope this helps!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-23-2003, 04:03 PM

Now I remember!

Check this out from EXILE CYCLES
http://www.exilecycles.com/THE_Chopper.htm

And don't forget to click the link for detailed parts pricing!

Last edited by Sbninja; 01-23-2003 at 06:13 PM.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-25-2003, 08:29 PM

??????

I admire your perserverance!

I'm guessing you have already tried adjusting the lever so the disengagement/engagement point is further out from the handlebar leaving room for your injured finger? If there isn't any adjustment provided at the lever or at the clutch could some creative shade tree modifying help? Possibly removing some metal at the lever/master cylinder interface? Just a thought.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-29-2003, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Found Something!!!

Found just what I'm looking for. (Translogic puts out a couple of products. The first, EZ Shift allows for electric upshift only at around 400 bucks. But, they also put out the Power Shift system which allows both up and down shifting, plus the option to go back to manual clutching. The interface are simple buttons to perform the action.

This unit MSRP is $1150 but the question is ... To ride, or not to ride?

Thanks guys for the other suggestions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode