Fork rebuild companies? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-06-2003, 07:02 AM Thread Starter

Fork rebuild companies?

I've heard of a company that you can send your forks in to and they will rebuild them with new springs, valves, etc. and tune them to your weight. It's ----- engineering or something. Has anyone heard of sucha place? I've searched the internet but couldn't find anything even simular. Please help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-06-2003, 07:05 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
The place we got spicerke's bike lowered was called Lindeman Engineering, they do race suspensions. I think they did more damage to the forks than good though since we were due to get the seals replaced after about 11,000 miles. I doubt I'd ever go there again, but they are in Campbel, CA if you wanna give em a shot.

I would imagine there are a lot of places that could do it though.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-06-2003, 02:14 PM

Racetech... no?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2003, 07:27 AM

TRY MAXTON ENGINEERING
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-27-2003, 05:52 PM

Try Dan Kyle, he does great work.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-25-2003, 11:32 PM

I have used Lindemann Engineering. They are very good. Unlike Spicersh, I would use them again. They re-worked non-adjustable fork tubes on my '93 ZR-1100, and it made such a drastic difference in the handling of my bike, it made the difference between selling the bike and keeping it. The bike is simply a different bike now (I had already had custom shocks built for the rear by Ohlins).

I used Race Tech ( a local builder who is an authorized rep for them) for the rebuilding of my fork tubes and shock on my '96 ZX9R, and I was satisfied with them. On that bike, the springs were a big improvement (since I weigh 200 lbs, not 160), and the revalving on the fork tubes drastically improved the ride (OEM compression damping on a '96 ZX9 is bone jarring stiff). I will probably go with Lindemann next time around, but honestly I think either outfit is good.

The cost compared to buying an aftermarket shock was a big selling point to having the shock rebuilt (on the ZX9) to my specifications. Anyone wanting to change the shock on a sportbike would be stupid to not talk to one of these outfits about rebuilding their shock rather than spending way more for one of the aftermarket makers' shocks.

Fuster

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster, and treat those two imposters the same....you'll be a Man, my Son!"

- Rudyard Kipling
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-23-2004, 04:54 PM

Suspension

I just got my forkes back from being done by Lee Tinkler at Protech in Montreal Canada. Lee has done 6 bikes for me and he is incredible. I asked him to install race tech gold valves and a spring with shims custom for my weight. He called me back and said that Racetech does not make Gold Valves for both compression and rebound for the 600RR. He recommended I go with Ohlins valving for both compression and rebound which I did. He turned the front end around and shipped it back to me in a little over a week.

I think they may have an office in the US - you will have to check with them - but they are good.

I also had a custom spring for my weight installed on my Ohlins rear shock. The total price for the front end parts (valves, spring, shims), the Ohlins spring and the install and setup labor was a little over $800 Canadaian or roughly $600 US.

Their web site is ProTechSuspension.com and the phone is 1-514-828-5058 If you call, ask for Lee personally and tell him Syd suggested you call. He sets up a lot of the Canadian National SuperBikes and he is quite simply the best....
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-24-2004, 08:19 AM

That is way over double what it would cost in the states for fork work involving similar stuff.

Fuster

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster, and treat those two imposters the same....you'll be a Man, my Son!"

- Rudyard Kipling
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2004, 07:26 AM

I have been wanting to do the same thing. I have been looking around and I definatley want the Ohlins upgrade, but I don't have the experiance to do it myself so I am going to have to send them off. I thought about buying used r&t forks and having them rebuilt and then upgrading the rear shock. I have been looking at these guys. http://www.aftershocks-suspension.com/pages/price.htm
and here...http://www.z1cycletech.com/suspension.htm

I have heard some good stuff about the place mentioned in Motreal , "proteck", I am just no sure I want to send them that far. I have been looking for something local.
I looked at traxxion, they seem a little high to me. Please let me know what you find out. Or what kind of results you get. I am going to wait a bit. I am intent on this being done right the first time. One, its alot of money to me, and 2 its a long time not riding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode