Customization - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2002, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Question Customization

Do customizations alter the resale value of bikes??
I may be purchasing a bike with some mods, so i just wanna know what the general feeling is about customized bikes.
Do you prefer to buy it dead stock?
If you spend a grand on a bike does it alter resale?
Would you buy a bike with custom paint? or is it just hiding something?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2002, 03:14 PM

buying a stock bike is usually best, most guys who add exhuast and jet the bike do it for a reason, to run hard. as far as resale yes it affects it. most of the time it can lower the value, especially if they cut the fairings for sliders, or for flushmounts.....

you can use this as a barganing point. if the mods are simple like tank bras, new seats, wind screens, and a can then this can raise it, its all subject to opinion. I personally will buy a custom pisnted bike, because if there is damage then you'll know either way just by looking it over.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2002, 04:28 PM

Well..it depends

I think generally, if the customization is professionally done, and not too extreme you don't ever loose value. It may not improve it, though. I disagree with the idea that bolt ons such as better windscreen or custom foot pegsincrease value, because the bike must have this equipment. The value simply stays the same. Now if you add, say a steering dampener, or adjustable rearsets. this may add value since they are additional features. As far as a cusom pipe goes, first it depends if it is a slip on or full system. Slip ons don't usually add value unless they are a premium brand. Full systems can add value, depending on brand and materials (i.e. Titanum)- but again, the issue is the bike needs this item to function anyways. Custom paint is always a toss up. I would say 90% of custom painted bikes have been down. But that doesn't bother me, because if it is a newer model, it most likely was professionally repaired. I personally am about to custom paint my bike, because i got rear-ended at a red light. All the damage was cosmetic, and I could put factory plastic back on, but I am choosing to go with after-market, with custom headlights and custom paint. Will it improve the value of the bike? Hard to say. I think it will give it a bank value based at least on a prime/excellent condition model. Probably better than the average/abover average rating it could have gotten. Good rule of thumb if you want a custom bike. Buy it that way, if you can find exactly what you want; otherwise, you'll spend way more doing it yourself- but then again, that's half the fun!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-28-2002, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice...I was always a bit shy of customizing till I got a new pipe, and from there I just wanted to go further.
My brother in law (who is a top notch bike mechanic) wants to supercharge my 250
I think I'll wait till I get a larger bike before I go nuts on it.
He's got a bike in his shop that he's tinkering with in his spare time. I'll post some pics when its reassembled.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2003, 04:26 PM

I paid a little bit *more* than base value of my bike, because it was customized.

My last bike, I did all the polishing and painting and customizing myself, and it cost me a lot of time and money.

So when I was looking for a new bike, I found one with a LOT of chrome, mods, etc, for a couple thousand more. I decided to buy it, because I knew that if I did it all myself, it would cost me a lot more than that... I got a lot of chrome, a D&D race pipe, jet kit, paint job, and all that good stuff, for just a couple thousand more. If I did all that myself, it would have been $4-6K...
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2003, 04:41 PM

In my opinion, you lose some resale value no matter what you do to the bike. You generally won't get any of the money you put into the bike back out of it, and if you do heavy customization it definately can hurt you. As with any vehicle, the only way you will get someone interested enough to give you any kind of decent money for a heavily customized bike is if it's done really close to their tastes, which would be odd if you found someone like that.

Any bikes I've ever owned have been dirt bikes, and I've never sold a car, truck, etc. myself either, but I would have to say a few things might help resale value (like fender eliminators), although not to the extent of what you paid for the mod, but then other things can turn people away, especially when you keep racking up the mods. With a few light ones, it's probably no big deal. But with larger amounts of mods, or the more major ones like paint, etc., you may run into some trouble.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2003, 11:26 PM

I agree with everyone else. As long as we are talking about this, I was just flipping through Cycle Trader (bad habit of mine) and I noticed a pristine '99 R6 with a custom silver paintjob. It looked great, and it was very very reasonably priced. Sure, it's probably been down, but I still pointed it out to a friend who is probably gonna buy it. I think its cool to have a bike that looks different than all the rest. However, it feels better if you mod your own bike, cause it makes it yours. That can be damn expensive, though!!

Elias
+
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2003, 11:02 AM

That's exactly how I felt. That I would usually prefer to do it all myself, but it was such a bargain to buy it with 90% of the chrome and polish already completed. And the bike fit exactly what I would have done myself. Silver and chrome. It's not like buying a totally unique custom bike, and claiming it as your own concept. I would never want to buy a bike with a custom paintjob, etc, and claim it was my bike, and my concept. But when it is a solid color, with chrome, it is exactly what I had planned for myself... So why not grab the bargain, and take it from somebody who already spent all the money at the chrome shop?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2003, 11:16 AM

It all depends on what has been done. Pipe and jet kit don't always mean the bike has been run hard. As far as custom paint that you need to look realy carefull at, it might not hold up as well as stock if it's not done right. As for me I can't leave thing's alone, just go to tinker with everthing to make the bike mine and mine alone. I don't want to look like every other bike out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode