Corbin Seats: Butt Pain vs. Wrist Pain - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Corbin Seats: Butt Pain vs. Wrist Pain

So What do you think, are Corbin seats any good? I'm thinking of getting one for my 2000 VFR and I'm looking for feedback.

My brother got one for his 2001 ZRX 1200R, but returned it. Although he thought the seat was comfy, he said the new riding position put more pressure on his wrists. Because Corbin builds up the front of the seat, he was forced to sit back further, creating a longer stretch to the bars.

Has anyone else had this experience?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 12:07 PM

Well I just got mine over the weekend, and I love it, although I am finding it takes a little getting used to when turning, it's different when leaning your body. It is much more comfortable on my cbr 600 f4i. It also adds about 3/4 of an inch to height of the seat.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 12:19 PM
oso

I had a Corbin and hated it. The shape was good, but it was so hard that I had to stop every hour to give my butt a rest. I got a Sargent instead and it is a couch compared to the Corbin. Better quality too, from what I can tell. You might want to check them out. Of course your results may be different as it is a different bike.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 12:50 PM

I found the stock VFR seat was pretty comfortable, but my wife REALLY wanted the backrest so I bought a Corbin. I found that the stock seat was not only more comfortable but it was better contoured to boot. The edges of the Corbin are relatively square, so shifting weight quickly thru the corners is not so easy. I am probably going to bring it to an upholsterer to redo it. Unless you want the backrest, I say stick with the stock seat.

As an aside, I bought my Corbin used via www.hondavfr.com - I can't stand the people at Corbin so I would never buy a new one. Their customer service is HORRIBLE.

Hope this helps.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 04:14 PM

I love my sargent but it did move the seating postion back a little !I am going to have the front trimmed a little to accomadate my short arms
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-11-2002, 09:09 AM

Corbin Seat

Hey Project Hex,
I've got an '02 F4i as well and am seriously considering adding a Corbin seat before next riding season. You seem pleased so far any other input? Would you consider this a must-have mod now? I can only put about 45-60 minutes in the saddle before my ass starts killling me. Thanks for any info.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-03-2002, 05:17 AM

NortonVFR,

I've purchased a number of Corbin seats and I also discovered that they are almost a hard as a nice piece of plywood. What very few guys seem to know is that you can special order a custom seat from Corbin to your specs at no extra cost. My last purchase had real leather instead of vinyl, moved the bucket forward 1 1/2", soft 1/2" padded panels added under the top skin, and other changes, all for no extra cost. The result is a very comfortable seat, completely unlike the 'off the shelf' seat. Only the Corbin California branch will do this. I recommend the following procedure:

1. Order a Corbin catalog. It's a big color catalog illustrating just about every bike made and the corresponding seats. You can select any basic design (within reason). You cannot, for example, get a Gold Wing style seat for your ZX-250. In my case, I liked the seat shown on the Honda ST-1100 much better than what was pictured on a ZX-11, so a wanted mine constructed that way. No problem.
2. I wanted the seat step moved forward a little to give better support and to provide a little more passenger room. No problem.
3. I also wanted some special colors. They sent me a full set of color samples. No charge. I selected black leather with a very dark ‘Yamaha’ gray for the side panels. Also, no charge.
4. Most important of all is to send them an outline of 'exactly' what you want. Don't attempt this over the phone. I also recommend that you avoid matching colors (they won't). Stick with black or other 'neutral' colors. You may later want to sell the seat or transfer it to your new bike, so you don't want special colors to become a problem.

The end result is a much better looking and far more comfortable seat.

The photo is of the seat on my 96 ZX-11. I put the seat on over 120,000 miles ago. The top is a perforated leather with sewn in 1/2" padding. Downright comfy.

Last edited by DaveL; 12-03-2002 at 03:19 PM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-03-2002, 04:18 PM

go custom

I'd recommend the custom version of Corbin's seats, too. Their seats are generally very hard at first, but after a few hours on the road they don't squish down and end up being so uncomfortable. I've had one for my FZ600 and now my CBR600F3. Two points worth mentioning (these are both stock): First, don't get the 'waffle' style vinyl- it gets real uncomfy/itchy after a couple of hours. Second, both of these seats made for a very uncomfortable situation for the little guys in front, knowatImean? I don't know what they were thinking, but these seats are either for fat guys or castrati, or fat guys who want to be castrati.
If the front of your particular choice of seat is sloped up into your tank, I'd suggest having them do something different than stock at least on this part of the seat.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-06-2002, 11:09 AM

heres something you might want to consider........my bro-in-law has corbins on his bikes.......and I loved how they felt. Was all set to order one then someone suggested having my stock seat worked on. So i took a pic of a corbin seat for a zx9r I got off their website and took it along with my seat to an upholsterer and told him to see what he could do with it. End result was a pretty comfortable seat (not as comfy as a crobin but much better than stock).......and it only cost me 25 bucks. Really you have nothing to lose, youre not gonna use the stock seat anymore anyway....so if it sucks you can get the corbin, if its good you saved some money.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 01:50 PM

Thumbs up I like mine!!!

I bought a Corbin for my CBR 954 and I love mine. It's one hundred times better than the stock saddle on mine. I got the 100% leather, carbon fiber stitch, in black. I used to ride about 110 miles each way to work for a while and the stock seat was killing me. Put on the Corbin, and BLAM! problem solved. The Corbins come with memory foam in them. Consider this: was your top of the line Arai RX7/RR4 helmet as comfy on day one as it is today? Well, mine wasn't, but it fits like a glove now. It's the same principle. The memory foam will eventually mold to your shape and become more comfortable.

If your considering a Corbin, my advice is to go with it. Especially if you ride a 954. I've only got a couple of knocks on the bike, and the seat is numero uno.

Good Luck..........JB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode