???performance Exhausts??? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

???performance Exhausts???

Are all aftermarket exhausts small?

I wanna change mine to get more hp, but like the beefier/tougher look of the stock one.

I knoticed most guy's with sport bike's have 'em and suggest/prefer 'em to the factory.....but those who know crap about bikes, like the stock ones and think that, there aftermarket cause of the big size.

???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 10:58 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
i kept a stock pipe on my bike being it's cheap. but thanks to lord duck hunter insistance that slip-on's do work, i broke down and ordered a leo vince bolt-on this weekend.

wileyco makes big old cans. everyone else tends to be smaller. you get more ground clearance that way. hindles look a little big as do sudco's, but don't think that they are really that big though.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by FZR400Tony; 10-08-2002 at 11:00 AM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 11:17 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to DaDuck748
I have/had a Yoshimura Race RS Oval bolt-on on my ZX-9R. It's a little on the big side. Being it's oval gives it a little more ground clearance, as well.

Since then, I put on a Micron Race full system, and it's WAY too loud (and SMALL!), so the stocker set is back on now.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-08-2002, 04:48 PM

Re: ???performance Exhausts???

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Cheech
Are all aftermarket exhausts small?

I wanna change mine to get more hp, but like the beefier/tougher look of the stock one.

I knoticed most guy's with sport bike's have 'em and suggest/prefer 'em to the factory.....but those who know crap about bikes, like the stock ones and think that, there aftermarket cause of the big size.

???
The stock cans are big 'cause they have to deal with the EPA noise limits and emissions. The aftermarkets are in it for power. The smaller the can, the higher the exhaust velocity which gets the thing breathin' if ya know what I mean. It is really tough to evaluate the power vs. noise equation these days since you can't really just go and listen to what you want to buy. Most mfr's do list DB levels though. This can be a good guideline when comparing. Historically, Yosh, Supertrapp & Micron slip-ons are the quietest as long as you stay away from anything that says race, obviously!
I am currently running a Micron slip-on on my ZX9, that with jetting(didn't NEED to but wanted ALL the HP I could get) squeezes out [email protected],800rpm The sound level is very pleasing not the high pitch whine but a throaty howl.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-08-2002, 04:56 PM

Cool Pipe sound...

That's not such a bad idea to hear the sound of a pipe on the internet...

I believe that Flowmaster does that for cars & trucks on their website, why doesn't somebody do it for the motorcycles ?

Red, *<(:{)-

1998 Prostar West Super Gas top ten.
1999 Prostar West Super Gas Champion !
2000 NMRA / Prostar Pro E/T runner up.
2001, 2002, & 2003, NMRA Pro E/T Champion !
2004, Pro E/T #3, 2005, & 2006, Pro E/T runner up.
2007 Pro St. Legal #6, NMRA Pro E/T Champion !
2008 Motorcycle Drag Race Assoc. SS Champion !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-08-2002, 05:09 PM

Re: Pipe sound...

Quote:
Originally posted by RedBull
That's not such a bad idea to hear the sound of a pipe on the internet...

I believe that Flowmaster does that for cars & trucks on their website, why doesn't somebody do it for the motorcycles ?

Red, *<(:{)-
There are mfg's that do supply sound bites, but the quality is not that great. Depending on the angle at which they sample from and if they are inside or outside. It just isn't a good rendition of the real sound. But it is a good idea, just needs a better delivery medium.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-08-2002, 08:38 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to DaDuck748
I think if you're looking for sound quality, the best way to do it is (if you have a local race track and race club) to go to a race weekend. There will be all shapes, sizes and sounds for you to listen to.

Most racers (that I know) have would gladly annoy their neighbors by demonstrating their exhaust systems to you.

Last edited by DaDuck748; 11-20-2002 at 09:14 AM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 08:30 AM

check out scorpion website and twobrothers website. they have sound bites, dyno graphs, etc... two brothers even has mpegs of them dynoing the bikes you can save. pretty cool. i still haven't figured out what i want on my gsxr 750 though. kneedraggers.com also has a good list of available pipes, w/links to factory sites.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode