How much to paint a bike? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-29-2002, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Question How much to paint a bike?

I'm looking for a new bike next to buy around the Spring of next year, but all the bikes I'm looking at (with the exception of the Sprint RS) DON'T COME IN BLACK. So while I don't necessarily want color to be a deciding factor - it's up there with the rest of them. So here's my question:

How much to re-paint a bike? As an example, the SV1000s is in my list of contenders so it has about the right amount of bodywork to be repainted (just the tank, rear body section, fairing - assume half-fairing as I'm looking at naked-ish bikes, and perhaps a belly pan). And are there any real issues with repainting if I got quality work done?

Here's a link to the SV1000s in case you'd like it for comparision:

http://www.suzukicycles.com/sr_03/sp...bp_sv1000s.htm

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-01-2002, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller...

Any help out there?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-01-2002, 09:44 AM

It depends. I have gotten estimates from 500-2000. Im getting mine painted two colors for 700. I asked the body shop that I used to take my car to, and the told me about 500 if I brought all the parts. Thats single color though.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-01-2002, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Good info - around the figure I was thinking. At least that way it'll be custom! Any issues regarding the new paint - flaking, adhesion, issues with plastic?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-01-2002, 09:27 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to DaDuck748
Now, if you're skilled nuff, you could do it yourself really cheap, and add color to your garage while you're at it.

I've been looking around for paint for my bike as well. I started with Color-Rite. Good bunch of people, but they seem a little on the judgmental side. I like their paint, just a little spendy for my taste. It's about $160 for for 1 color, and double that for 2 colors, even though you're only buying for 1 bike.

Most of the $ is in the prep work. They would need to strip the OEM paint, finish the surface, prime and shoot.

After loosing my primary source of income, I decided on a $40 rattle-can solution.

Last edited by DaDuck748; 03-31-2003 at 11:10 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-31-2003, 04:37 PM

All the price is in the prep work.

If you take your bike somewhere, and tell them: "Paint my bike", it will cost $800-$2000.

On my last bike, I took all the panels off, took the lights out of them, and cleaned all the stickers off, and sanded and primered the panels. I took them to an auto painting place, and told them that the next time they were painting a car the color I wanted, to just use the extra paint to paint my body panels. They charged me $100. But it turned out great...

It's all about how much of the prep work you do yourself. If you bring the parts to a paint shop, in a big box, they will give you a much lower estimate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode