Powdercoating or paint? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-22-2002, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Powdercoating or paint?

I have a red and white '01 F4i and I want to make the rims white. But I am not sure if I should paint the rims or have them powdercoated. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-23-2002, 05:00 AM

If you are going to get them done professionally, go ahead and get them powder coated. Powder coat should be more durable than a regular paint coating.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-23-2002, 05:10 AM

yep powdercoat them, it may be pricy, but if you take them off yourself and strip them then it should be no more then $100

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-23-2002, 05:15 AM

You may find that you like them better stripped, than painted!! You should have aluminum wheels and when stripped and sanded and polished, the have a almost chrome shine to them. 100 for powdercoat seems a little high, guess it depends on where you are located. I have seen powdercoat starting at 45 for both wheels and up to 120 for both. Search you local paint shops and do most of the work yourself and save some bucks. Make sure you tape over the bearing areas or remove them and stripping them yourself will save you a lot of labor cost.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-23-2002, 07:37 AM
bob

I used to work in powder coating - just a couple of tips:
- make sure your coater has a zinc phosphate system, not iron. Alloys and/or aluminum will not etch without zinc. This will GREATLY help with adhesion.
- go ahead and pay extra for a clear coat over the color - it's well worth it.
- use polyester or acrylic based powder with UV protection - this will help it weather better - won't get that ashy coating after a while like some of the cheaper powders do.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-23-2002, 12:53 PM

Thumbs up

LIKE THE OTHERS................POWDER COAT!

Johnny
Team No Limit Racing &#169 1996-2002
http://www.teamnolimitracing.com
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-23-2002, 01:40 PM

Question powdercoating rims

I've heard that the heat you use to bake the powdercoat to the rim could weaken the aluminum. Any truth to that?
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-23-2002, 03:59 PM

IF weaking of them were any concern, I dont think anyone would do it.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-24-2002, 09:51 AM

powdercoating rims

"IF weaking of them were any concern, I dont think anyone would do it."

I've seen multiple car stereos wired with scotch tape. By this logic, just because the stereo works, and a fuse hasn't blown, or the car hasn't started on fire, using scotch tape is OK. It's not.

I guess I'm just looking for a more technical answer: "The aluminum will retain its strength as long as it's not heated over xxx degrees." That sort of thing.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-25-2002, 04:45 AM
bob

You'd have to speak with a metallurgist to get xxx of degrees, but I can tell you I have coated aluminum engine parts (intake manifolds) that cured at 400 deg. F for 30 minutes - apparently this was acceptable to the auto companies. Just the fact they use aluminum in engine components should verify that temps at 500 or so don't hurt the metal. We did not fixture the manifolds to keep them from warping.

I would imagine a wheel would cure at 375 or so, and can't belive that would hurt it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode