Switch to Digital Speedo - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-22-2002, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

Switch to Digital Speedo

I have a 98 F3 and ever since I have been driving my cage with digital gauges I cant get used to the rotary speedo. Is it possible to just swap gauges out of a trashed newer model onto mine? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-25-2002, 06:36 AM
jrm

what I did...

I have exact same bike. Love it, but wanted accurate speedometer. Working in bicycle shop, I grabbed a Sigma bicycle computer, extended the sensor wire and mounted it to CBR.

Little magnet that fits inside one of the front rotor bolt heads. Sensor safety wired onto fork leg. Wire up behind fender and up front brake line. Head/readout unit mounted near key. Works great!

Use Sigma because they don't have a roll-over point (some bike computers only go to 70 mph or so...) and they used to be stock gauge "upgrade" on KTM bikes. Model I have displays current speed, average speed, maximum speed !!!, time of day, stopwatch, trip distance and total distance. Because you calibrate it yourself (easy), you can get wheel's rolling circumfrence down to the millimeter exact.

Mine has proven the stock speedo to be 7-8mph optomistic. The only thing the Sigma does not have is a light at night, but I have an idea for that fix as well.

Email me directly if you need a picture or if you want a computer to do your own. Best part is the price, only $40 plus a scrap of wire and maybe another magnet. Totally cheap and much more accurate info than stock equipment would be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode