Adding nitrous - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 05:46 AM Thread Starter

Arrow Adding nitrous

Well ive been thinking about getting a little more power to my 96 ZX-6r, was thinking about adding a turbo, but as hard as it was adding it to my ls1, i think i might try something easier.
I think an extra 30 horses would be good for now, since i can only pull a throttle wheelie in first, and thats yanking on it.

i looked at some of the bike kits from NX, and there a bit pricy about $1k. i think they were all wet kits too.
is there any other nitrous companies that make kits for bike.
i checked NOS and didnt see any, what about TNT, compcar, venom or any other brand do they make kits.

do they make dry kits, or do you have to use a wet cause of the carbs. Im running a little rich cause im jetted, would that help.

DO they come in small shot sizes, like a 30 shot. do they have 2 stages so i can spray more in high gears?

what are the prices of these kits?

just want a little boost so i can keep up with the 1100's at the track.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 08:40 AM

smokinHawk,

I can't answer your questions but I wanted in on this link. I too was considering nitrous but never got much response to my post a few months back. Maybe this time..

Mike
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 01:57 PM

I have a NOS kit on my 1984 FJ600 and what a hoot it is. I can perhaps give you a little insight.

The kit that I have is a generic 4-cylinder, 4-stroke, under 750cc kit. It is probably the one you would use. I don't believe any kits will come specific to any bike unless you own a Harley.

The kit that you would get would have 1 fuel pump, 2 solinoids, 4 fogger nozzles, some wiring, some hoses and some brackets. The kits are not that complicated and neither is the theory behind them. If you take the time to install the kit correctly, you should have no problems.

I'm not sure what you mean by "wet" and "dry" systems. If you mean do they inject fuel with the nitrous, then the answer is yes. The fogger nozzle has two lines going into them - one for fuel, one for nitrous. I don't think you would ever want to inject nitrous without additional fuel.

The amount of hp that you make is totally dependent on the size of the jets inside the fogger nozzles. The nitrous adds 40hp on my bike on a model 150 Dynojet Dyno.

I'd be more than happy to answer any questions that you care to post here...

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 02:05 PM

Turbofj6

Where to begin...

Did you install it yourself?

Was it a single kit you purchased or did you source the parts from multiple locations?

Who was the manufacturer?

Do you still have the installation instructions? Could you scan/fax, mail, or email them to me (I'd be happy to cover any costs)?

Thanks,

Mike
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 02:13 PM

When I bought the kit, I had the luxury of working in a motorcycle shop and had some help from some pretty knowledgeable coworkers. However, I did do 95% of the work myself.

I bought the kit complete from NOS (Nitrous Oxide Systems) for around $700CDN. That was a few years ago though.

I don't have the instructions and once you understand how everything is supposed to go together, you really don't need them except for the wiring diagrams. I could probably reproduce those for you.

To be honest, the kit that you can buy is a good starting point, but the brackets they supply, the electrical connectors etc. are of pretty low quality. I had brackets welded to my frame for the solinoids and fuel pump and machined some intake tubes to go between my cylinder head and carbs. The stock intakes were made of rubber and couldn't handle that much pressure. You may also want to investigate changing carbs as there is a good chance that you could cause damage to CV carbs. I am running Mikuni RS34 flatslides.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 03:12 PM

Turbo kits.

I think you might want to take another look at the bike turbo kits. Supposedly they are much easier to install than the car kits. The few I looked at were complete bolt on systems with snap in wiring, easy computer set up and everything.

But they also say that the turbo kits totally screw your bike up in the twisties because of turbo lag and the way the power hits the rear wheel.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 03:15 PM

The only problem with the turbo kits is the expense and availability. I don't think there would be a bolt on kit for anything less than 1000cc and if you do find a kit, the minimum cost will be around $3000.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 04:09 PM

well not like this will help but the bike I learned to ride on was a 998 with both a turbo and nos. the turbo was not from a kit but a rebuilt turbo we originally got from a junkyard that we got for like $35, the tubing was easy the only problem was making it so it fit behind the fairing and making heat shielding for the plastic parts. it was along time ago so don't kill me if Ican't remember the particulars. I believe the turbo was an ihi we got off some jap car that was wrecked, it may have been off of the chevy sprint/geo metro turbo, I remember the engine was so small I could palm it. as for the nitrous, well it was a kit from nos, it was a pain to install. and the biggest problem with it was the bottle being so small it was only good for 4-5 short shots, so forget the second stage if it made it far enough through the first we were happy.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

thanks for all the info. I need to find the nos kit on there web sight. The nx street kit was $800 though.

I dont want to go turbo on the bike, i like a high compression motor, just crack the throttle and go. need to keep it simple, as of right now my bike is my daily driver, rain or shine.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 08:34 PM

I know quite abit about forced induction on cars and I'm sure it's not much different for bikes, just a different application. For anyone that thinks it's about strapping on a turbo and going.....YOUR TOTALLY WRONG. There are many,many things that are involved with turbocharging a naturally aspirated engine and making it run safely and properly. IMOP it is not worth it on a bike. If you want more speed get more CC's

cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode