EXTEMELY Fine Polishing Material - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-17-2002, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

Question EXTEMELY Fine Polishing Material

Hello all,

I recently finshed polishing my frame/subframe/swingarm/rearsets, and it looks pretty good. BUT , I'm just not completely happy with everything yet. The finest sandpaper I can find is 2000 grit, and it worked really well. I was just wondering if there's something out there that's even finer than 2000 grit. I have used 3M Microfinishing Compound on my vehicle's paint, but I'm not sure about using it on bare aluminum. See, once I polish the pieces in question with Mothers, I can still see very fine sanding marks. Can these be removed? Thanks in advance for your input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-17-2002, 01:05 PM

did you use any buffing compunds and rouge with a buff???
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-17-2002, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation

UglyAngelX:

Nope, not yet. Buffing compound? Rouge, as in jewelers rouge? This is the first polishing I've ever done, so I'm not real knowledgeable about it

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-17-2002, 01:33 PM

Look up the Eastwood company home page, they will have everything you will need and you can also call them if you are not sure what you need and they will hook you up.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-17-2002, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

UglyAngelX:

Will do. Thanks a bunch for the info
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-18-2002, 09:50 PM

also check out a couple other polishing threads in this forum. The member polisher knows pretty much all there is to know about polishing. He has posted links to a website that breaks down polishing step by step and what to use as well as when to use it. It's definately worth a look, I read the whole site.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2002, 05:47 PM

Re: EXTEMELY Fine Polishing Material

Quote:
Originally posted by Gixxin'It
Hello all,

I recently finshed polishing my frame/subframe/swingarm/rearsets, and it looks pretty good. BUT , I'm just not completely happy with everything yet. The finest sandpaper I can find is 2000 grit, and it worked really well. I was just wondering if there's something out there that's even finer than 2000 grit. I have used 3M Microfinishing Compound on my vehicle's paint, but I'm not sure about using it on bare aluminum. See, once I polish the pieces in question with Mothers, I can still see very fine sanding marks. Can these be removed? Thanks in advance for your input.
If your through to 2000 grit you can hand polish it using 3 different grades of polish you can get from www.englishcustompolishing.com These polishes are progressive from coarse to super fine, and enhanced. They'll do what you want. Forget the Mothers. That's dull.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2002, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by F3Bufford
also check out a couple other polishing threads in this forum. The member polisher knows pretty much all there is to know about polishing. He has posted links to a website that breaks down polishing step by step and what to use as well as when to use it. It's definately worth a look, I read the whole site.
If you read the whole site, you were there a while!
More articles coming soon. Polishing Frames and weld smoothing or flatting.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

Polisher:

Hmmm........maybe I shoud have e-mailed you from the "get-go" with the question. Everyone here seems to have high praise for you and your products. I appreciate the info, and I'll be ordering from you soon. Thanks for the info
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2002, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by polisher

If you read the whole site, you were there a while!
More articles coming soon. Polishing Frames and weld smoothing or flatting.
yeah, I spent a few good hour there. But well worth it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode