2000 ZX9R Exhaust???? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-14-2002, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Question 2000 ZX9R Exhaust????

I am looking into upgrading the exhaust on my 2000 ZX9R and would like input from anyone at this point. I have had conflicting advice, some saying the change isn't worth the dollars since minimal gains are acheived by doing so. Others state the opposite. Also, what about slip-ons vs. full systems and jetting?? The research I have done shows the only way to go is a full system and jet kit. Can anyone suggest what brands work best on the Kawi's or does it not matter? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Torn2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-14-2002, 06:25 PM

Talking

Hey torn2

Supposedly, the Muzzy's work well for Kawi's. If you go to any Kawi dealer and ask what kind of muffler for your zx-9r they are going to push u to getting the muzzy. As far as full exhaust your required to put a jet kit for better performance to even out the fuel and air mixture so it won't run too rich. Slip-on's do not require jet kits. I have a D&D slip-on with no jet kit and is running fine. Are you looking for a deeper throaty sound or a mellow sound? Point blank is go for what you like as performance and sound not for what others say you know... blah ...blah ...blah. Everyone has a preference just giving you my 2cents that's all.

Later,

P.S. If you're looking for throaty sound go with the D&D.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-01-2002, 07:52 PM

fully agree with ferracci: go with what YOU want. same as modifying a car or remodeling a home: how do YOU want it to look.

as for slip-on vs. full, depends on what you want. supposedly, the slip-ons don't do much for power and change bottom end and mid-range a little, but not too much. they are mostly for sound. the full systems are for even more sound but mostly power. downside of an aftermarket system is that yeah, you gain power, but usually only in the upper-rpm range. the advantage of a stock system is that they are tuned for the entire rev-range and they are smooth throughout. if you race or ride at high speed, the full may be of advantage for you. i will say that the best exhaust i ever heard was a full yosh system with pcIIIr on a gixxer 1000. that bike sounded frightening.

as for sounds, i don't care for muzzy on kawi's although they used to be the racing exhaust for team kawasaki and he is one hell of a tuner. to me, they sound like a raspy lawn mower. if you want a shredding type sound, muzzy is it. d & d is close to the muzzy in sound, but a little deeper. micron and two brothers sound nice and deep but louder than stock. team kawasaki rides with akropovic now which is supposedly the best exhaust available. it's pricey, but they offer the best results for power.

again, it's all up to you and what you want. hopefully you'll get some good feedback from others as to what different exhausts sound like.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 02:56 PM

I've ranted and raved enough about the D&D full system I had on my 98 ZX-9. Do a search of my posts and you'll get the full story

Bikes owned:
1979 Kawasaki KM100
1984 Kawasaki KLX 250
1985 Honda Shadow 500
1988 Suzuki Intruder 750
1988 Suzuki Intruder 1400
1993 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
1998 Kawasaki ZX-9R Ninja
2001 Suzuki GSX R-1000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode