zx-6r undertail and legalities - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-10-2002, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

zx-6r undertail and legalities

okay, I looked high and low for an undertail that suits my fancy, and I think I found one from Graphic Art Moto Design. It completely eliminates the mess of an undertail (the bulky stock one) which means it eliminates the stock rear signals. There are LED signals mounted within the undertail, which I assume would work equally, if not better to the stock signals, but I'm wondering if anyone knows if this is a legal modification in the state of PA...I did a lot of mods to my car, and I'm just scraping by on a few legalities, and I don't want to run into the same prob with my sportbike. Here's the undertail website if your curious:
http://www.graphicartmotodesign.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-10-2002, 03:21 PM

I am also in PA, 2 of my friends have wired up there tail lights to be there turn signals. According to them its illegal, but oh well. Its illegal because the turn signal have to be a certain distance apart. I think they said 9 inches, so if the signals are less that 9" apart they would be illegal
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-14-2002, 12:34 PM

Lightbulb

ILLEGAL.............Due to the lighting being less than 85% of the OEM lighting. Furthermore, the turnsignals are further restricted due to the "reduced" lateral viewing of the signals when illuminated!

Like most states...........Cali included. The turnsignals must be visible at angles greater than 130 degrees to as much as 180 degrees when illuminated!

Press Hard 4 Copies!

Johnny
Team No Limit Racing &#169 1996-2002
http://www.teamnolimitracing.com

P.S. Look for systems that are "DOT" approved!

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-19-2002, 08:29 PM

I'm in NJ and I just ordered one about 4 hours before i saw this post. I'll let you know if i get pulled over for it. I ordered the clear lens too for the tail lights w/ the red LEDs.
My car also is just getting by. I don't think the cops like it too much when your vette doesnt have mufflers but from what i see its legal. Lets not even get into no cats on the car
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-19-2002, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jammin_Johnny
ILLEGAL.............Due to the lighting being less than 85% of the OEM lighting. Furthermore, the turnsignals are further restricted due to the "reduced" lateral viewing of the signals when illuminated!

Like most states...........Cali included. The turnsignals must be visible at angles greater than 130 degrees to as much as 180 degrees when illuminated!

Press Hard 4 Copies!

Johnny
Team No Limit Racing &#169 1996-2002
http://www.teamnolimitracing.com

P.S. Look for systems that are "DOT" approved!
I've had my turn signals in my taillight for quite awhile when I modified the tail section & have yet to be pulled over That doesn't mean they're legal just that the cops haven't taken notice. They are visible 180 degrees though. There is no way of course they are 9 inches apart. 2 inches maybe.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 08:52 AM

I have the Graphic Art undertail on my wifes 6R. No problems so far. In California there are NO requirements as to how far apart the signals must be or how much illumination there must be, according to the California vehicle code book available from your local DMV for a few bucks.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 08:53 AM

And this one ...
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 08:54 AM

Last one ...
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 10:08 AM

Nice looking ZX-6R. I'm ordering one for mine two along with the clear taillight. Just an observation...aren't you more likely to be pulled over for the plate location rather than the turn signals. I thought the graphic moto undertail came with a stainless steel plate bracket mounted near the LED trun signals?
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by LooseCannon
Nice looking ZX-6R.
Thanks
Just an observation...aren't you more likely to be pulled over for the plate location rather than the turn signals.
Probably
I thought the graphic moto undertail came with a stainless steel plate bracket mounted near the LED trun signals?
It does, I just thought this looked better. Robert from Graphics Arts sells awesome stuff and I can't wait for the undertail for my 2002 R1. I highly reccomend his stuff to anyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode