polish duration - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2002, 04:40 AM Thread Starter

polish duration

The difference that solvents make to polishes is astounding, both acids and alkalis keep on working after you've finished polishing, that is why they go dull two or three weeks after polishing. That way the manufacturer sells more polish. They etch into the metals, some actually eat Zinc, a component in many alloys and steels. A polish should have a neutral pH. You'll find that all most every manufacturer out there will not know even the pH of their polishes. That's why they are no good. It's just a blend of abrasives and solvents thrown together to make a buck. Check out www.englishcustompolishing.com/usca/myths.html and find out a few truths.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2002, 07:23 AM

I actually spoke with a maker of this stuff, and he mentioned the same thing you did. He went ON AND ON AND ON..... about his brand does not do that and how it strips away the previous waxes and so on...... I decided to try it and WOW was he right. The best shine my bike has ever had. Take a look>>> http://metalwax.com/. Just so you are aware of all options.

ZX7biker
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2002, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

I uh Duh!

Kind of hard to study the aluminum with all those long legs, Kind of numbs the brain. But you definitely ought to try my products.
I think you'd still get an improvement. But you man told you right.
Most polishes are a punishment. But did that girl ever get any help with that Zipper, I'm abvailable if it's still stuck.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2002, 06:37 PM

I have now oficially tried the english custom polish. Granted not on my bike yet, but on my paintball gun. Since I have very limited time I chose to start out with something small. Back a few months ago I grinded off the anodizing on my autococker (paintball gun) and piloshed it with brasso. After playing with it a few times the polish job changed into a grey cloudy finish. I used the ECP metal restorer to get rid of all the crap in the metal and then used the polish to finish it... and wow. I have no report of duration yet, but wear and tear on a bike rim couldn't be any worse that a day in the dirt of a paintball field with me. I still need to buy a scanner or a digital camera so I can start posting pictures of this stuff.

But in the same reason, I would also be interested in testing out this metalwax. by reading the website, I get the idea that they are using the same angle to polishing as English Custom.

Next I'm doing my bike rims, and I will find a way to put pictures up because you all have to see how reflective this polish makes aluminum. Looks like chrome.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-23-2002, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Polish

So how'd you make out on the rims?
I'd like to know how it is standing up for you.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-23-2002, 09:02 PM

I'm still working on restoring the metal. I've put several hours into it so far, that restoring compound just keeps on pulling crap out. But the paintball gun is still as shiny as the day I polished it (with regular cleaning obviously).

I think fiskal and sheebert would give it two toes up
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-24-2002, 07:23 AM

Send a message via AIM to duessel
I used FLITZ on my rims and I think they turned out pretty sweet. You can see them in my gallery. What are these other products you are talking about? I am interested in trying something that is better. I have seen people that polished their rims, frame, swingarm etc... and can't tell if it is chrome or polished. That is the stuff I am looking for.

http://www.bikerplanet.net
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-24-2002, 07:54 AM

Have you used....

...the English Custom Polish General Purpose Polish? I take it that is the wax for cars/motorcycles and such? It sounds pretty good. I am thinking of buying the Greasy Joe, Metal Restorer, General Purpose and Showman's Blend.

Anyone had direct use of these with an opinion?

Lates,
Onyx
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-30-2002, 08:48 PM

I used the restorer and the showmans ultrafine polish. when used correctly they gave a brilliant and lasting shine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode