new frame.. polish it? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2002, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

new frame.. polish it?

kawasaki is rebuilding my bike and they have the new frame.. should I take it home and polish it before they start to assemble it? Now is the time,while it is a bare frame. I know upkeep is a pain but it does look cool IMHO!The wheels are already polished.what do you people think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2002, 05:03 PM

Since the frame is in this open condition, why not polish and clear-coat it? Less upkeep this way. Just an idea off the top of my head.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2002, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Yes I thought about clearcoating it. as long as it doesnt yellow on me. when cleaning it I would actually be cleaning the clearcoat.I would have to do the swingarm when the bike is assembled cause it is still attached to my bike at the kawi shop.I might be able to get the mech. to pull it off for me.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2002, 05:17 PM

Re: new frame.. polish it?

Quote:
Originally posted by blackkaw
kawasaki is rebuilding my bike and they have the new frame.. should I take it home and polish it before they start to assemble it? Now is the time,while it is a bare frame. I know upkeep is a pain but it does look cool IMHO!The wheels are already polished.what do you people think?

If you want to polish it, now is the time. Stay away from clear coat though, It's all right for a year or two, but detracts from the finish the moment you apply it. Good polishes need very, very little maintenance. check out the bikes in the phottogallery at www.englishcustompolishing.com/usca/gallery.html
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2002, 10:18 PM

Re: Re: new frame.. polish it?

Quote:
Originally posted by polisher

If you want to polish it, now is the time. Stay away from clear coat though, It's all right for a year or two, but detracts from the finish the moment you apply it. Good polishes need very, very little maintenance. check out the bikes in the phottogallery at www.englishcustompolishing.com/usca/gallery.html
He is right. A "GOOD" polish doesn't need much maintenance. My rims only need to be polished about once a month... but the quality of polish is a determining factor. The best polish I have used for aluminum is mother's polish (available at most auto parts stores. For a while I was trying brasso and never-dull and the finish would fade rather quickly. A sealant is not necesary, and a major downfall of a sealant is once it's on you can not polish anymore because you strip off the sealant. Hope this has been of some help.

-Matt
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2002, 05:08 AM

once a month?!

Hi Matt, if your polishing once a month your doing it too often.
Mothers is real coarse. and doesn't last. It restarts the oxidisation process by itself. Semi's that I polish here are running in all sorts of conditions and the fanciest trucks are being polished around once every 30,000 miles. That's an aweful long way for a bike. You shouldn't need to repolish more than once every three months, no matter how fussy you are. unless your riding on really bad conditions. Send me your address and I'll get a sample of my stuff to you. You won't need to polish monthly, I guarantee.
You can contact me through tech support at my website www.englishcustompolishing.com
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2002, 09:37 PM

The only question I really have about this polish... What seperates it from any of the other polishes that allows the finish to last longer?
I browsed the website and it has loads of great information on how to get a perfect shine, and I look forward to trying it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode