getting custom exhaust? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

getting custom exhaust?

What are the different types of exhaust systems out there what exactly is a slip on i'm thinkin just for looks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 04:48 PM

Thanks to people answering this same question for me before i bought my bolt - on: here's the scoop.

depending on what type of bike you have, you will either have a slip on or a bolt on. most newer sportbikes (japanese) are bolt ons; meaning, the new can bolts directly to the pipe. Slip ons (i think) involve a gasket or something.

i ordered my D&D from parts411.com; it came and I had it installed in less than 5 minutes.

If you're just after some sound and looks, go with a can. They all make about the same difference in HP and torque gains. Although, i've heard that slip ons and bolt ons are merely cosmetic. Fine with me. my bike had enough power to begin with. it just made it sound sweet.

scope out some other riders and their exhausts and see which you like best. after i bought my D&D, I heard a Two Brothers pipe, and thought for my next can on my next bike, I'll go with the Two Bros.

Basically, go with looks, and something in your budget. I think i got my can for $232 or so. parts411.com saved me about $50 vs. buying from D&D's website.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

thanks!

thanks for the help appreciate it......dave

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 06:53 PM

no worries.

I should have said; go for looks, sound and $$. They all produce about the same.

Also, BTW, I hear carbon fiber fades in the sunlight. I got the Black Satin D & D. Basically, I think it's painted satin black with some paint that can withstand the heat. I totaled my bike 3 wks ago, so I'm not sure if it would have faded either.

And finally, personally, i would stay away from the Titanium unless you're planning on shedding weight on the bike elsewhere also; and if you're going to go w/ a full titanium system for racing or something to that effect. if you lay it down and total the can, you're out some serious $$. Just my opinion. Post a pic when you get 'er on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode