ROCK::me::HARDPLACE... Fiberglass - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2002, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Question ROCK::me::HARDPLACE... Fiberglass

Ok, so I got my headlight in today, turned out to be exactly what I didnt want... an housing for a foglight too small to fit a dual filament bulb. So I said screw it and decided to buy one of the almost hideously large headlights (5" ) And now comes the problem...

Due to the obvious angle conflict of the headlight beam direction and the angle of the front fairing I'm going to have to fabricate some kind of adjusting system, which isnt a problem (I've already made a few drawings) but I'm also going to go ahead and blow my load on this and do some fiberglass work to accompany the light. It's kind of hard to explain, so use your imagination.

It was a friends idea actually, but it would kind of look like this, with the fairing keeping its slope angle, I would put the top of the headlamp out untill the light is verticle (picture it). Now all that open space there I need to fill in with a barrel of sorts. I'm planning to use fiberglass to do this. With the light protruding from the fairing like that, I would definately get a original look to it, but I anticipate it taking a lot of work. What I need help with is advice on how to mold fiberglass. I consider myself quite the craftsman, but I have never dobbled into the molding parts yet. So what exactly do I need, where do I get it and how do I do it?

Last edited by F3Bufford; 06-17-2002 at 08:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2002, 05:33 PM

Maybe a piece of PVC pipe trimmed to the right shape then wrap the fiberglass/resin around it then sand the hardened piece to the contour you need. Some other plastic item might work like a Tupperware pitcher. Another option might be some thick cardboard(not corrugated board) like the stuff used to make shoe boxes... just fold it into a tube and wrap it with the fiberglass.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2002, 08:03 PM

Hey Buff you ever think about doing a custom sportbike sidcar? Ya know so you can bring the fat girls along

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2002, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

nah, thats what my truck is for

and you should see how easy it is to wheelie with a fat chick on the back... when she falls off, the bike goes back down though.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-23-2002, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

Well, I got the project started pretty well. I've made the fiberglass barrel for the headlight. Thanks for the suggestion on the pipe for a mold. It worked out pretty well, was a pain in the ass to crack the glass off though

I haven't cut the hole in the fairing yet, I should get around to it this weekend, but if not soon. Thanks for the help.

-matt
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by F3Bufford
Well, I got the project started pretty well. I've made the fiberglass barrel for the headlight. Thanks for the suggestion on the pipe for a mold. It worked out pretty well, was a pain in the ass to crack the glass off though

I haven't cut the hole in the fairing yet, I should get around to it this weekend, but if not soon. Thanks for the help.

-matt
I forgot to mention... wax the pipe first with some good car wax.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

that would have been a lot more helpful beforehand

I haven't really had time to work on it lately, but over my leave for 4th of july, I should have an ample amount of work time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode