Suzuki Bandit Suspension Mods - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2002, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Talking Suzuki Bandit Suspension Mods

I have installed an aftermarket "Hagon" 1200cc bandit shock on my 600cc bandit with tremedous results It has Jacked up the back end a little bit and quickened the steering a bit as well Lots of adjustment that actually makes a difference It fitted staight in with no modifications at all.

Now I am looking to do something to the front end to improve things I have already installed progressive springs and heavyer fork oil which made a good difference to the handling at the time. but now that the back is so much better I do not have the same confidence in the front. I have heard somewhere that the fork caps from a 2002 sv650 will fit onto the 600 bandit to give adjustable preload has anybody tried such a mod and if so what did you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2002, 09:57 AM

I asked around a bit, and noone I know has ever heard of this. It sounds good in theory, and you'll never know until you try. I'm sure a bone yard would be able to sell you a set of caps for pretty cheap. good luck
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2002, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

I found the info on a suzuki bandit owners site when I was surfing one night, unfortunately I have not been able to find the site again and I never bookmarked it to look at it again. I dont want to go and buy a set only to find they dont fit. Breakers probally will not want to split parts from forks and I would hate to buy a set of new ones only to find they dont work. I will keep searching to see if i can find the site again. Fingers crossed

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2002, 09:50 AM

I posted your question at Maximum-Suzuki.com and got a response from a guy who I know to be a pretty knowledgable bandit rider/racer and track instructor. He says the SV caps will work on the B6 but you may need to shorten the spacers otherwise it will compress the springs too much.

If you try it let me know.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2002, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

It is something I am planning to try but I will be leaving it until winter time before I do anything about it but if and when I do I will post my results/findings of the mod
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-03-2002, 04:51 PM

Here is a little info on using the SV650 caps

The SV650 has same brand (I can't remember if Showa or KYB) front fork. Both are 41mm and have the same guts. The overall length may be different, but who cares. For 2002 they got preload adjustable fork caps. Those caps fit the pre-2000 B6. Maybe bugeye too. I got mine from a normal bike shop. Standard SV650 parts are almost $30 each. To do the installation you need to trim the spring spacer by about 7/8" shorter than when using the stock spacer. I recommend replacing the fork oil and replacing the springs with progressive suspension springs as well.

Correct front preload for a street bike like a B6 should be 1.25"-1.5" With preload caps you just put it on the center stand and measure from fork dust cap to bottom triple clamp. Repeat this measurement w/o center stand with you on the bike. Adjust preload and remeasure untill the amount difference between extended and weighted is correct. Your bike will handle better if you correctly adjust the rear pre-load too. But you knew that.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 12:11 AM

suzuki bandit suspension mods

I have a 1996 bandito .contact Max at Traxxion Dynamics suspensions.....www.traxxion.com I have the penske rear shock and the max front shocks.my bike rides like a dream.Max sets up some AMA race bikes so he is the man when it comes to this stuff
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 03:52 AM

I believe you can replace the front forks with older GSXR-7fiddy or 6hundid forks and it is supposed to be a big improvement and gives you the adjustable factor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode