Ducati 1098S... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

Ducati 1098S...

Hey guys I'm new to the forums and just wanted to jump in and see what ya had to offer. As you can see from my user name I have a CBR 900RR, its a '94. I've been on bikes for quite a while, taken the safety courses, and am used to having some power underneath me. I was thinking about getting an '07 Ducati 1098S and wanted to see what you guys think....so just go ahead and through it out there. I'd like to hear some thoughts on it and see if its worth it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 03:33 AM
Strength and Honor

If I had the money, the 1098S would be the bike for me 'Course a recent Cycle World shootout with other liter bikes showed it wasn't up to par with the Japanese models, but its so sweet!

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 03:37 AM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
There are few bikes available right now that look sweeter than the black S. They are a bit overpriced, and will likely follow the Ducati tradition of needing more upkeep then their japanese counterparts. The handling is impeccable but the power is lacking in comparison to the japanese liter bikes.

That being said, if you have the money, and feel that the bike is right for you, go for it. You'll be the envy of the town.

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 03:49 AM
Strength and Honor

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakesht View Post
They are a bit overpriced, and will likely follow the Ducati tradition of needing more upkeep then their japanese counterparts.
In the end you might be right, but the driver to creating the 1098, IIRC, was to produce a beautiful bike that required far less maintenance than previous Duc's and lower the cost to be competitive with the Jap models. It will be an interesting watch in the magazine reviews over the next few years.

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 04:13 AM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanwisch View Post
the driver to creating the 1098, IIRC, was to produce a beautiful bike that required far less maintenance than previous Duc's and lower the cost to be competitive with the Jap models.
Well, they didn't do the best job at the latter, so we will see about the former.

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the advice. you've mentioned japanese counterparts, but which ones in particular?? im a fan of the ZX-6R body style and under tail exhaust but don't know much about them as bikes. i've also ridden many GSX-Rs and been on an R6 but compared to the physical body size of my 900, the smaller 600 bikes don't fit me well. the 'busa has been the only thing that felt "right." also, my family and i have been riding hondas for quite some time now and since we've never really had any problems that would probably be my next step. i know they tend to be more expensive than suzuki or yamaha but is true theyre also a little quicker??
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 09:58 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
At the Joe Schmoe level of riding, which I would say 90%+ of all riders fit into, "quickness" is more a function of the rider than of the bike. I'd say go with the one that fits and looks the best to you that your wallet will support.

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 12:10 PM

Send a message via AIM to ZX6R1033
I'm with spicer on this one.

Also, you won't find many brand-loyal riders here. That being said, your comment about Honda... Yeah. If you find something that looks and fits you better, go with that. RRs are very competitive in recent years, so one won't really be more reliable or faster than the other.

I absolutely LOVE my 03 ZX6r, but I absolutely DESPISE the 05+ models. My next bike definitely won't be a new kawi. At least not a 6R. Actually, from all of the ones I've ridden, I'd have to say my next bike will probably be a Honda. My neighbor had a 1000RR last summer, and I took that for a ride. I love the way it sits and feels. It's either that or an R1. Or a ZX10R. Or a Triumph.

So far anyway.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 02:44 PM

I had a 1994 CBR900RR for about 6 years. I modified it fairly heavy with triple clamps, suspension, brakes, exhaust....and had a lot of fun on it.

I bought a 95 916 during that time a road it up in the hills and for track days. The 916 had plenty of power for me. I lapped faster and did not have the maintenance issues that many people had--mostly because I had a good mechanic and I could take care of a lot of things myself.

I traded up to a 999R and now have a 1098. All the modern superbikes bikes are still faster than I will ever be--but the Ducatis are very easy to go fast on. The 1098 has converted many riders over because of the price.

Get what you like. I would ride a Ducati if you are interested--they are completely different than an inline 4.

-M

Last edited by motowheels.com; 06-24-2008 at 04:01 PM.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the input guys. i have actually had my dad talk to a store owner about the bike and he said it will really move (which is like most newer bikes with the technology available) and i don't mind the power, its just that the temptation will always be there, haha. i intend to use this bike a daily rider around town and the interstate for short trips. i have no intentions of ever taking it to the track and this is what this bike is based off of, so are there any other bikes out there that might do better? should i look more towards a japanese bike such as honda's 1000RR or the 999?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode