Pic Request - Ducati 999s. - Page 3 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakesht View Post
I was talking about the physical size. They take up my whole screen, but then again, it's only a 19" and not a widescreen either.
I have a 19" Widescreen. It definitely takes up the whole screen, but the detail was outstanding. I saw everything I was hoping to see.

I was afraid you would say that about the heat shield. I was hoping it was Carbon Fiber, which does not absorb heat. My CF can on my bike... after riding for an hour, I can grab on to it and it still isn't hot. Had that been the case, my suggestion would be LEDs on the top and sides for the brake light. it would be narrow and clear... and very bright. Tail/brake combo done that way... then Amber LEDs down the side below the brake lights in between the cowl and the heat shield.

They would be bright enough to keep you very safe... a lot brighter than stock lighting, provided you get good LEDs. It would be subtle, and when the bike was off, you wouldn't even notice them.

But, LEDs would melt in high heat, so it is back to the drawing board.

In the meantime... Quick PS job for you.

I got bored... you took too long to respond.

Quote:
I actually took a pic from the side to post up and see if anybody wanted to photochop it with some new wheels. Haven't put it up yet though.

Man, if only I could PS wheels. It is the one thing I haven't quite grasped yet.

EDIT: I wonder if you could create some sort of low-profile housing for LEDs using CF. That might work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 02:37 PM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX6R1033 View Post
...my suggestion would be LEDs on the top and sides for the brake light. it would be narrow and clear... and very bright. Tail/brake combo done that way... then Amber LEDs down the side below the brake lights in between the cowl and the heat shield.

They would be bright enough to keep you very safe... a lot brighter than stock lighting, provided you get good LEDs. It would be subtle, and when the bike was off, you wouldn't even notice them...
I like the idea. I'm starting to look around and see what my aftermarket options are. The gixxer has LEDs for all indicator and brake lights, but it's also got the integrated turns in the brake light because the hotbodies ones just weren't bright enough.
Quote:
In the meantime... Quick PS job for you.

I like what you did there
Quote:

EDIT: I wonder if you could create some sort of low-profile housing for LEDs using CF. That might work.
I know I have a buddy that works at a local place that can fabricate anything but I don't know what all materials he has available, and to be honest I don't know enough about carbon fiber to know how hard/expensive it is to use for customization.

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #23 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I know I have a buddy that works at a local place that can fabricate anything but I don't know what all materials he has available, and to be honest I don't know enough about carbon fiber to know how hard/expensive it is to use for customization.
It's realitively expensive, but it wouldn't break the bank at all for the small amount you'd need. Maybe $30-$50 worth, Maximum. It is, for the most part, like working with Fiberglass. The only difference being that, in order to get good strength, you have to be more precise in the CF/Resin application. Again, not an overly large deal.

I can try to PS something real quick to give you an idea of what I am talking about, but I can guarantee you it will be a VERY sloppy job. I've only been really getting into photoshopping recently. (About 2 weeks, to be exact.) Plus, it will be somewhat tough to try to create an item that should be invisible when the bike isn't on.

post #24 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 02:59 PM

Deckers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfarson View Post
If you mean the 999S, can't help. If looking for 999's, from a nearby place:

Is that the road to Deckers? Ahh, pure nirvana....

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son." - Vernon Wormer.- Dean, Faber College.
post #25 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Sloppy PS, as promised. I couldn't get rid of the tail without ruining the pic, so I just left it. This will give you an idea of what I was talking about with the LEDs, though. Just remember, if they aren't on, you shouldn't be able to see them.

post #26 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 03:23 PM
Lifetime Premium

That looks like an awesome idea bro. I'll have to check into it and see if my friend knows how to work with CF before I go and mess everything up though.

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #27 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
That looks like an awesome idea bro. I'll have to check into it and see if my friend knows how to work with CF before I go and mess everything up though.
Or ask him if he knows how to work with fiberglass. Like I said... essentially the same procedure.

I wouldn't CF it into the bike, though. I would just figure out how to build a standalone housing and attach the housing to the bike when it is complete. See if you can find a smashed brake light or some spare turn signals on eBay or something so you can get the plug ends. That way, if you are unhappy with the results, it is completely reversible.

Also... remember to look for the brightest possible LEDs you can find. When you are wiring, use half of them for tails, and reserve the other half for the brake. In fact, if the LEDs are bright enough to safely do so, the best idea would be 30% for tails, 70% for brakes. The higher the ratio, the safer you'll be.

Also, if the LEDs don't come prewired with capacitors (and I would suggest you search specifically for the ones that do), you would need capacitors as well. This would prevent the LEDs from failing due to fluctuations in voltage. LEDs are designed for a constant voltage, and automotive systems always fluctuate. I learned this lesson the hard way when I was integrating turns into the corners of my headlight housing.
post #28 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 03:46 PM
Lifetime Premium

Sure...sounds like a job I can easily **** up!!

-Will Rogers
post #29 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Sure...sounds like a job I can easily **** up!!

lol I'm just making it sound worse than it is.

Simplified:

Step 1) Locate someone who is able to work with fiberglass or CF.

Step 2) Find Red and Amber LEDs with prewired capacitors. Buy them.

3) Measure the gap between your cowl and heat shield. Write these measurements down.

4) Take measurements to whoever can work with CF. Have them build a "Dish" shaped like this - [ (Side view. I can draw a better picture, just give me a few minutes)

Step 5) When LEDs arrive, measure the space you have to work with in the dish. Evenly space the red LEDs across the dish... If you have enough room, double-stack them so they will be brighter.

Step 6) Drill the holes you measured. The LEDs usually have a semi-flexible housing which will push into these holes and stay firmly in place.

Step 7) Locate some heat-resistant wire tubing. Run the wires for the LEDs through it and into the bike wherever your stock wiring goes. Wire them to the plug you bought off eBay. Plug it in. Remember... at least half the LEDs should be dedicated to brakes. Given the fact that it looks like stock lighting uses bulbs, this wiring should not be tough at all.

Step 8) Repeat step 5-7 with Amber LEDs for turn signals.

Step 9) Secure lights to the bike. Test.

Then it's on to the license plate bracket.

I'll try to draw something to show you a bit better what I am talking about.
post #30 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

I got lazy... deal with the bad picture.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode