2008 Ducati 1098R Review - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Sponsored Editorial Content

2008 Ducati 1098R Review

Motorcycle.com reviews the 2008 Ducati 1098R. Be sure to read the article and give us your feedback within this thread.

There's a great opportunity coming to motorcycle riders, collectors or racers in the United States. Relative to the number of bikes landing on American shores each year, very few two-wheeled nuts will bask in the glory of what may be the best sportbike available today: The 2008 Ducati 1098R.
As my English ex-pat friends would say of those fortunate enough get their $39,995 checks written before anyone else, "Jammy gits!"

The 1098R isn't so much the next evolution in the 1098 line as it is a homologation obligation allowing a limited number of lucky souls to be the benefactors of WSBK rules. Perhaps I should say that the 1098R is revolutionary in that it's the first streetbike (streetbike, puh-leez!) with available traction control. Ducati makes no ifs, ands, or buts about it, DTC (Ducati Traction Control) is that something special that the Big Four keep toeing the line with but are too litigious-conscious to cross. It's also identical to the same system found on Ducati's factory superbike and MotoGP machines. Awesome!

Read More: 2008 Ducati 1098R Review
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 07:47 PM

Well, to have at least a reply here. From one of the recent break-in rides...

Temps are warming at 8800ft. Local surface conditions are improving. Still cool and sandy but better than icy and very sandy. Break-in continues, perhaps timing the first service in a few weeks with the arrival of the race ecu so the race exhaust, traction control, etc. can be fitted.

Cannot add much to the abundance of reviews of the R but can note the bike takes one through the same circuits at seemingly higher speeds without fuss or even awareness. I'll look down at the speedo and see I'm 5-10mph faster than typical through the same sections previously, yet it doesn't seem things are hectic but rather sedate. It's an animal, but well trained. Very noticeable is its light weight and responsiveness. It seems to telepathically execute what you're thinking. For sure maybe this is just in my head, but then again, it probably doesn't matter whether it is or not.

From last week...

From this week...

Playing with image settings here. FWIW, in the distance is a portion of the monstrous 2002 Hayman wildfire charring 130,000 acres. At this location the fire was so hot the road caught on fire and was resurfaced.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 02:50 AM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
You are quite possibly one of the most fortunate individuals I have ever encountered.

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 01:21 PM

Indeed so, but it would be true for both and most everyone here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode