The NEW 996 is Here!!! - Page 2 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 01:35 PM

like everyone else already said, the bike looks amazing. If you don't mind me asking, how much time and $ have you put into it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by superman6696
...If you don't mind me asking, how much time and $ have you put into it?
At a guess, I'd say TOO MUCH and TOO MUCH!

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by superman6696
like everyone else already said, the bike looks amazing. If you don't mind me asking, how much time and $ have you put into it?
I did all the work myself, except for mounting the new tires and the Ceramic coating on the exhaust. Everything else was done on a very tight budget: I got all my paint at wholesale due to being a 20 year customer at my paint supplier. Alot of parts were aquired through Ebay and the rest I spent a great deal of time scouring websites to find the lowest price possible before making the purchase.

Bottom line turned out to be around 3K, and time wise - I spent 6 weeks total getting all the components rebuilt, refinished, and reassembled. I spent four weeks getting the frame, wheels, and other things painted in Black Chrome, but that process failed at the final step, so I went with a black over that that looks very trick in the sun. I spent 6 days on complete assembly from the frame up, followed by 4 VERY intense days of bodywork fitment and paint. I placed the last pieces on Thursday night, and rode it on Friday the 20th to Laguna Seca at 5 am.

It was an arduous task, but knowing the final result would be a great ride and make for some good conversations kept me motivated enough to work every night till 2-3 am just to make the deadline.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 09:35 PM

damn, thats awesome. I wish I had time to do half of the stuff that you did. I definately think that the way you went about getting parts was the best way possible, if your not in a rush to get them.
I hope your enjoying it now that its all done!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode