Buying a 748, need HELP asap!! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-05-2007, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to GoTime242
Buying a 748, need HELP asap!!

Hello all,

I will probably buy a 2000 748 tomorrow. I have never owned a ducati before and want to know if there is anything i should look for specifically before i buy it. I will be able to test-ride it, so i want to know what to look for.

I was originally looking for an r1 or cbr600rr, but then this came along at what i think is a resonable price. It is 100% stock, with 10,000 miles on it for 6000. Does that seem like a decent price?

Any tips on things to look for, or advice for the test-ride is much appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-05-2007, 03:48 PM

#1 If you aren't familiar with the dry clutch of Ducati, don't panic when you hear the ringing of the cluch plates- it's normal.

#2 Look for fluids built up at area near oil breather base. These tend to leak a bit, but you don't want to see too much oil there. It's located directly above clutch housing.

#3 It may tend to stumble off idle when you take off in first gear. If it isn't perfectly tuned or is completely stock, it may run too rich or lean and cause some idle issues (that can be tuned with chip, etc.) It may also shudder at take off with stock gearing (going up in sprocket teeth =easy fix)

#4 Chek the exhaust at idle for even exhaust pressure and temp. If one cylinder is running richer/leaner than other (factory fuel injection flaw/ nature of twin cylinder positioning), yo ill feel a difference in pressure from one pipe to the other as well as temp difference.

#5 Look for fuel leaks from tank at base of fuel pump and at mounting tab located under front of seat. If there's fuel at base of fuel pump, the sending unit may be cracked and needs replacement. There's also a large O-ring at base of pump that wears out. The mounting tab has been known to leak right at the seam where the tab meets the tank and can be sealed for under $100 with POR-15.

#6 If no records of proper tuning are present, be wary as these bikes require a strict maintenance schedule be adhered to. Valve adjustments are critical for optimum performance and reliability.. If bike is backfiring and idling rough, or you don't feel like your arms are going to be ripped off at a 6-8 grand first gear launch, chances are, it is not in good shape.

These are very incredible bikes and if it is in good shape, you will be in love with this machine in an instant. Good Luck and hope you have found a winner!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode