Ducati 749 Daily Rider? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-28-2005, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Question Ducati 749 Daily Rider?

I'm buying a bike pretty soon. I want a Ducati 749 Dark. But I also want to ride it daily (I live in Florida). Is this do-able? I used to have a 94 gsxr750 Pilsner/Black, so it's not the angle or the speed or handling. Can a Ducati be dependable daily rider? Or will it spend more time in the shop? What are the main issues? Heat transfer from the pipes to the seat cowl? I've read on this board that they rattle and nuts need to be tighten often? I guess what I'm trying to say is, do I buy a Jap bike 636r or r6 for durability and piece of mind or do I go Italian? oh yeah, money is not the problem for scheduled maintenance, I just want the most asphalt time for the money

"If you can't change those around you, then change those around you."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-28-2005, 03:27 PM

One word: Valve adjustments. No wait........ Two words.

A few ccs short of a full litre.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 09:57 PM

well since he just said money for maintenance is not an issue, 6k mile valve checks shouldn't be an issue.

ducati's are reliable, you just can't forego maintenance and get away with it like you can with japanese bikes. heat will be an issue more than side mount exhuast but you're talking about the 636 with undertail exhuast also, so it's a moot point. and any bike will rattle stuff loose if it's not checked on a (somewhat) regular basis.

the 636 is a nice tool, and i mean that literally. it will perform it's task perfectly. a duc is more than just a tool...and if you don't know what i mean then get the 636.

-Mikey

2000 748R

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 08:28 PM

I used to ride my 748 everyday to/ from the shop. If I still had it, I'd still be doing that commute on the Duc. When I pick up a 916, I wouldn't hesitate to put miles on that thing either.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2005, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

I'm going to buy one. One more question, would you go desmo (748) or test (749)? I see alot of Ducs for sale with alot of miles, what is the life span of the engine generally speaking? Thanks for the responses. I see more negative than positive responses about Ducatis.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2005, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jus_Livin'
I'm going to buy one. One more question, would you go desmo (748) or test (749)?

This is personal choice. I don't like the look of the 749/ 999, prefering the classic lines of the 748/ 916 so personally, I'd get the 748 but the 749 is easier to ride, has a better motor and is more reliable.

Quote:
I see more negative than positive responses about Ducatis.
If you notice, those negative responses tend to come from people who've never ridden or owned a Ducati. Talk to a Ducati owner and you'll find that most are loyal Ducatisti.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-18-2005, 03:09 PM

My 749 has 21,000 miles, daily rider, and only a couple of minor problems in two years, both taken care of under the warranty. (Not counting the cheap stock battery replaced with a aftermarket) All required service has been done, on time. They are not good daily riders as they tend to heat up and cook your neither regions and stock itís too tall geared for city start and stops. But they can do it reliably, just don't expect to be comfortable in traffic. For that you need a set of rear sets, new clipons, and an aftermarket seat.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 05:02 AM Thread Starter

BCebrian - The modifications you have described, Did you do this to your bike? If so,
As for gearing :would that be the front or rear sprocket, or both? What tooth?

Rearsets: I can just get adjustable?

Hot Seat: Is that both riders? Do I need a different padded seat i.e thicker padding, different material, what about heat shield material built under the seat pad as well as the tail?

Oh yeah, what were the minor problems you had with your bike, and has Ducati already addressed these issues on the current bike?

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jus_Livin'
BCebrian - The modifications you have described, Did you do this to your bike? If so,
As for gearing :would that be the front or rear sprocket, or both? What tooth?

Rearsets: I can just get adjustable?

Hot Seat: Is that both riders? Do I need a different padded seat i.e thicker padding, different material, what about heat shield material built under the seat pad as well as the tail?

Oh yeah, what were the minor problems you had with your bike, and has Ducati already addressed these issues on the current bike?
I'm still running stock exhaust and seat. Haven't had the cash for the exhaust I want and I've learned to live with the seat.

Rearsets: LOT's of choices for adjustable rearsets, Cycle cat makes some beauties but expect to pay about 375-500 for a good set.

Hot Seat: it's from the exhaust and as far as I can tell there really isn't a fix for this. Some other riders have told me that a aftermarket or cored system that removes the cats helps some. Also ceramic coating is another thing that helps some but doesnít really solve the problem. The bike just isn't designed for stop and go riding. I live with it because of how good the bike is in other areas. A Corbin or Sargent seat will be a big comfort upgrade but you'll still have to deal with some heat. If you are moving it's not much of a problem just if you get stopped in traffic for a long time in hot weather. I haven't had a passenger on the back long enough to get a real assessment of the heat back there. Comfort for the passenger is a bigger issue. Not really a good passenger friendly perch.

Sprocket: My base model came with a 14T front stock so I couldn't go any lower. I just went up +3 in the back and it was a good change. Easier on the clutch and faster accell. If you have a stock 15 front, it's cheaper to go down to a 14T and you don't have to get a new chain. I like the 14/43 combo. Works good for me on street and track.

Minor problems:

-broken alignment pin on left switch gear when delivered. Replaced under warranty.

-Upper left coolant hose started leaking at about 13K miles. Replaced under warranty.

-Front master cylinder became mushy and wouldn't firm up no matter how much it was bleed. Replaced under warranty.(biggest problem I ever had and it took the longest to get the part. My dealer is SLOW but does good work)

-Recall on the oil cooler for that year (03). Never had a leak but replaced during routine service with a new one.

I wrote a account of my time with the 749 on www.Ducati.ms if you want to read it. It's here.

http://www.ducati.ms/ubbthreads/show...b=5&o=0&fpart=
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode