Any drawbacks to vented clutch cover? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

Any drawbacks to vented clutch cover?

I have seen that many people run vented clutch covers on their Ducati's. I understand the benefits to be allowing heat and dust to escape from the clutch?

Is there a downside to doing this, i.e. water or contaminates entering the clutch?

I've been thinking of doing the "remove the gasket" cheapie mod instead of spending the dollars on a vented cover.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 10:51 AM

No personal expirience, but I've read on the subject some (I was in the market for a monster). There dont seem to be any real benefits to a vented cover, it seems more of a looks thing than anything else. Downsides are mainly that clutches start to rust, but my understanding is that the problem increases as frequency of use decreases. That is to say, if you ride your bike on a regular basis, dont worry about it.
The other downside is increased noise from the clutch. Have you heard what an exposed clutch sounds like?

-- Thats Just The Way I Roll

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are".
-—Theodore Roosevelt

"In war there is no substitute for victory."
---Douglas MacArthur, General

"Beware of those in whom the urge to punish is strong".
---Johann Wolfgang Goethe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

I have heard them before, they are a bit loud. Supposedly it adds to the "Ducati character."

My gut reaction has always been that it didn't seem like a good idea, but then every Ducati accessory outfit sells them.

I thought maybe it made more sense on a track bike, versus a mostly street ridden one. My main concern would be water and road grime getting in there, as I do ride in the rain every now and then.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 11:48 AM

If you like the sounds of ball bearings, metal shavings, and glass in the engine (Thats what I thought of when I first heard it) then go right ahead.
Water will rust the plates a tad, but the rust will dissapear with application. The danger is having your plate rust together if you leave your bike unused for a few years.
As for road grime, a clutch is basicly no different than a brake, and your brakes are exposed to the elements right?

Just dont bother looking for any performance.. Its a looks only mod...

-- Thats Just The Way I Roll

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are".
-—Theodore Roosevelt

"In war there is no substitute for victory."
---Douglas MacArthur, General

"Beware of those in whom the urge to punish is strong".
---Johann Wolfgang Goethe

|
|
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 02:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to izzybo69
It does alot for keeping the clutches cooler, i have seen many people drill there covers full of holes, and they had no problems at all.

As far as water, well if you ride in the rain alot, then maybe research this further, but so many people do it, i do not think its an issue.

I may not know everything about somethings, but i know something about everything!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 02:05 PM

LOUD CLUTCHES SAVE LIVES!!!

Anything that goes in usually just gets flung out. I actually have to wipe clutch dust off my boots and tail section after a long ride. I think Vash is right about the rusting together part but sofar I've never had a problem.

Stock Ducati clutches are pretty loud even louder when they get worn out a little. When you use a vented cover it can sound like the bike is falling apart. The sound really bothers some people and cage drivers don't know what to think. I put a STM slipper on recently, and it's a lot quieter, but it still has the ching ching ching sound. The basket is made out of aluminum which doesn't seem to ring quite as loud as the steel one did.

Edit: Also the clutch housing is tucked in behind the fairing so not much water gets in anyway.

A few ccs short of a full litre.

Last edited by mac020; 10-26-2005 at 02:12 PM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 06:54 AM Thread Starter

Thanks to all for your input.

I think I'll try running the stock cover without the gasket and see if I can deal with the noise, and see how much dust comes out. I'm not too crazy about additional dust that I'm going to have to clean off.

If I don't like it I'll just put the gasket back on.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 12:47 PM

Send a message via AIM to slaintedan
Quote:
Originally posted by Ted900
I have heard them before, they are a bit loud. Supposedly it adds to the "Ducati character."

My gut reaction has always been that it didn't seem like a good idea, but then every Ducati accessory outfit sells them.

I thought maybe it made more sense on a track bike, versus a mostly street ridden one. My main concern would be water and road grime getting in there, as I do ride in the rain every now and then.
We used to get a lot of Ducati owners coming into the shop with a "strange clutch noise." Almost always it was a case of them not knowing what a dry clutch is. I've lost count of the number of times I've explained the dry clutch setup.

I love the sound of the dry clutch and anytime I hear a Ducati sitting at a light it's like hearing an angel sing. It's second only to the sound of a Ducati at full throttle blasting past at 150mph!

Me for Emperor of America!

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by slaintedan
I love the sound of the dry clutch and anytime I hear a Ducati sitting at a light it's like hearing an angel sing.
Awe that brought a tear to my eye.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 12:56 PM

Musically:
Ching, ching, ching goes my ducky. Ring, ring, ring goes my clutch.
Etc.

Sorry!

Last edited by mac020; 10-30-2005 at 10:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode