adjusting gear shifter - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-21-2005, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Question adjusting gear shifter

Hi,

I bought the smx 3 boot and can't get my toe under the gear shifter well. How do I increase the gap of the gear shifter ?

I have an 800ss.

Thanks,
Ryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-21-2005, 11:45 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to dandesmo1
hey

i hope this might help.......if the shifter is on a spline remove it and adjust it according to your foot hieght......i went and looked at my 748 and if i had to adjust mine then that is what i would have to do......good luck.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-21-2005, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

I see two screws. One big screw I think holds the gear shifter in place. The second screw connects the shifter to so rod that I believe actually shifts the gears.

So is it that I remove both screws, adjust the position of the shifter and then screw in the big bolt first. Then reattach rod to tighted in small screw?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 07:28 PM

If you look at your linkage you'll see a turnbuckle and two threaded ball joints with locknuts at the adjusting rod (middle section of the linkage between the nuts). The fwd locknut is left hand thread and the rear is standard. Loosen both nuts then turn the adjusting rod to lengthen or shorten the linkage to raise or lower the shift lever. If you can't get the lever to the right position with just the barrel adjustment. Then move the shift arm (the one that clamps to the transmission shaft) one or two spline teeth to get the corse position then fine tune it with the adjusting rod. Make sure you leave enough threads from the ball joint inside the rod to insure that it's solid when you tighten up the lock nuts after you get the shift lever to the right spot. I think you should be able to get it with just the rod and the lock nuts if it's just a boot adjustment. Try that first before moving the splines. Your owners manual should have some diagrams and info on adjusting the bike to you.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-10-2005, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. I read the manual and did what it said. It worked perfectly. Feels great riding with boots also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode