damn black top...... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2004, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Angry damn black top......

So I stopped in at the BMW dealer to see if they had the new K bike in. Well as I'm talking to the owner about a multi strada that was there from a trade in and I hear crunch. With out even looking I know what it was. I run out the front door and see my bike laying on the ground. I was hot..... The owner helps me pick it up and We look it over. Tank dented, blinker smashed, clutch lever bent,Mirrior,hand grip and fairings top and middle all scrathed up.
I'm fully insured so all I'll have is the $250 deductable to worry about but what the heck. I live in Wisconsin and It hasn't even been that hot so I don't know why it sank in so fast. I have noticed that when it is hot the small kick stand sinks in almost right away normally i carry a small piece of stainless steel but I must have missplaced it.
Has any one else had this problem with Ducatis? Is there a aftermarket kick stand with a wider base?
Well I just wanted to vent thanks for listening.........

Not really a squid...It's just a nick name....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2004, 07:04 PM

Send a message via AIM to DocThee Send a message via Yahoo to DocThee
Ironically, I have never had this problem. But I can feel your pain. My bike came with a rather wide stand. Sorry about your luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Keep the ride on...

AIM and Yahoo! - DocThee

"Anything can be a medicine or a poison."

Virtus Junxit Mors Non Seperabit
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-05-2004, 07:35 AM

Send a message via AIM to HyDrO
i live in AZ it gets like 115 out and im sure the streets are way past that and i have never ever heard of that! you got me scared now though...

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 10:22 AM

It's easy to forget about the soft pavement problem. Having your bike fall over is not actually a common thing around here, but it does happen.

I keep a small plate in the bike or my jacket. I have one of those spring like key chains attached to the plate, then the free end goes on the grip when I park it.

I'll also park close to a curb so kick stand is on cement or in the shade if possible. Parking with the front pointed up hill chocked against the curb, will take some of the pressure off the "prop" also.

And... There's the ole flat rock or crushed can trick.

A few ccs short of a full litre.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 12:18 PM

Kickstand pad

Learned the hard way a long time ago aboutt the same problem. My SBK kickstand has a pretty broad base but I carry a pad in my pocket just incase. I got this one free from a Ducati event in Richmond, Va.

http://kickstandpad.com/index.php
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 06:01 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
Re: Kickstand pad

Quote:
Originally posted by BCebrian
Learned the hard way a long time ago aboutt the same problem. My SBK kickstand has a pretty broad base but I carry a pad in my pocket just incase. I got this one free from a Ducati event in Richmond, Va.

http://kickstandpad.com/index.php
I'm cheap, I just use a piece of plywood or a crushed soda can.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 06:53 AM

Send a message via AIM to ga_skyline_rydr Send a message via Yahoo to ga_skyline_rydr
That is one problem with most bikes nowadays. They only come with a side kickstand, where as in years past a side kickstand and a center kick stand were standard. My kat is one of the few bikes left that has a center stand and side stand. I always engage the center stand so I don't have this problem. I can't imagine lifting 500 lbs of bikes off the ground if it ever fell.

Me Big Brother, me watching you

skylinerydr- where the ground meets the sky

Today is the day of the beginning of your life, ride safe
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 08:43 AM

Damn bro, I'm sorry to hear that.
In my expirience a bike has to be parked on something fairly shady for this to happen in the first place, perhaps the kickstand was set in a crack, or maybe on abit of grass or something like that.

Crashed soda cans work, and frame sliders do too!

-- Thats Just The Way I Roll

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are".
-—Theodore Roosevelt

"In war there is no substitute for victory."
---Douglas MacArthur, General

"Beware of those in whom the urge to punish is strong".
---Johann Wolfgang Goethe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode