Supersport 800 for a new street rider? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2004, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Supersport 800 for a new street rider?

First off, I would like to say that DAMN it's hard finding a Ducati forum with active users on it.

Ok, as the topic says, I'm highly looking at a Supersport 800 as a first bike, let's just say money isn't the issue here. I've ridden on dirt bikes for quite a while, and I finally feel like I want to start getting into street riding (damn the high price of gas these days!). I've shopped around, talked to riders... hell, I even bought the idiots guide to motorcycles and read it cover to cover. Twice.

That book had the Ducati Supersport 900 as a highly recommended first bike, and for reasons why I can understand... 407 pounds, one of the smoothest power curves I've ever seen, and I hear it's confortable to boot. Now I really do want to buy new, and unfortunatly the 900 isn't made new anymore, it appears it's been replaced by the 800. I don't mind, I'm not after speed, I'm after a high quality bike that runs smoothly and is agile.

I've seen people recommend the Monster instead of it, but to me that's out of the question -- I find the Monsters to be (no offense) the ugliest naked bikes out there.

As for experience, I've stated that I've ridden quite a lot on dirt bikes, I have a feel for motorcycles that comes pretty natural. I plan on taking the MSF anyways, and I plan on investing as much money in gear as humanly possible.

Now on to me, I'm 20 years old, 5'7", ~130 Pounds, I have a perfectly clean drivers license with no citations or speeding tickets, never been in a serious accident (one fender bender, with a woman driver... ). How much would insurance be on the SS800? Anyone have any ideas?

Any input or two cents would be greatly appriciated. I was previously looking at an F4i, but decided that the SS800 would probably be more controllable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2004, 09:05 PM

Hey welcpme to sbk. I have been here for a while now and I agree not much about Ducati out there.
Well I just bought a new 620 ss this last fall and I love it. It was my first bike and I'm hooked on Ducati. The power is great and it handels like a dream. I would recomed the 620 for a first time rider they compare to something like a 500cc jap bike maybe a little bit more power but since they don't make the 620 ss anymore. I don't know if you will be able to find one new but I would check. The 800 may be a little more than a new rider would need. I know you said you've ridden dirt bikes but they have no were near the power of a sport bike and they handel completely different.
I know you've most likely have seen the new riders forum and how everyone always start on a 500ex or whatever and they are right the power of these things is unbelieveable. I have never ridden the 800 and I was actually looking at the 748 before I bought this one and I'm glad that I didn't. The little 620 is more than enough for me right now thanks.
Oh and by the way I am pretty much the same size as you are 5'7" and 135.

Not really a squid...It's just a nick name....
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2004, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Wow, I didn't even know there was a 620... I did a google search and found SOME info on it, not a whole lot though unfortauntly, and an eBay motors search revealed just some 620 dark monster (ew)...

Where did you get yours? And how much did it cost? I would DEFINATLY prefer a 620 over an 800 if I could get one that was in excellent condition... that was my main reason for wanting new, getting it in pristine condition.

http://www.onyerbike.net/2003/620sport.htm

That's the only website I found with any sort of information on that bike in particular.

EDIT: I should also add, all the listings of people having them for actual sale is all in Europe... was this a Euro only bike?

Last edited by NovaHawk; 04-03-2004 at 09:50 PM.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2004, 09:59 PM

I got it from corses superbikes Milwaukee. They are a great dealership very easy to work with. heres the link but It doesn't really say anything different than the one you posted. http://www.corsesuperbikes.com/
I would try to find a local dealer and see what they say. They may have a new one yet........
No it wasn't a euro they were sold here.......

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-04-2004, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

After talking at length to a Ducati tech at a local dealer I have decided that indeed the 800 is a better bike for me than the 620.

Apparently the tech said that the reason they were only made for a short amount of time is because they were "dogs", he said the 620 engine wasn't near enough power for the bikes (these are V-Twin engines, not near the same amount of power as an inline he said), he also said that there were only about 30 of the 620s imported to the USA.

He told me that he started on a 750, he's about the same size as me, and he said that it was a great starting bike, he said the 800 is even better because they've done nothing but improve the bike. He also said that I would grow out of the 620 in a matter of months, but it would take me years to use the 800 to full potential. Sounds like something I definatly could grow into, which is what I'm after.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-04-2004, 08:11 PM

I don't know if you had read any of the reviews for this bike but no one called it a dog.... I know it's not the fastest thing on the street but it will definetly get up and go. I could also see myself out growing this bike as it is now but I do plan on some mods in the future to bring up the hp.
Thanks for the info about only bringing in 30 to the states. Now I know that I won't be seeing eveyone else ridding the same bike.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-04-2004, 10:34 PM

if money aint a thing...then buy a 500 jap bike and after you lay it down a couple times and finally know how to ride then you can buy that shiny new Duc...i surely would hate to see a new Duc laying on the ground in peices....btw i have ridden dirtbikes before i jumped on my 600 and only thing that helped me was the levers and throttle... my 2 cents
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-05-2004, 07:42 PM

If you're set on the 800SS, look for a 2003 model. They downgraded the bike for 2004. The 2003 has better suspension.

Plus, it will probably be cheaper.

-Bob
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-05-2004, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

The problem is I haven't seen a single used 800. Anywhere. I've searched high and low and only found 900s and 750s...

Any recommended places to look for used bikes?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-06-2004, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by NovaHawk
The problem is I haven't seen a single used 800. Anywhere. I've searched high and low and only found 900s and 750s...

Any recommended places to look for used bikes?
The 800 Supersport was a "new" model for 2003. There probably aren't many used ones out there. The best bet would be leftover models from the dealer.

If you can't find one local, there's always ebay and Cycle Trader, but there's a lot of sellers scamming people at those places. You have to be very careful. Stay away from deals where the seller is in one place and the bike is at another. The best thing is to actually go see the bike in person before you buy it.

Also, if you're buying a used Duc, make sure the service records are up to date. You don't want to spend $$$ on a bike only to turn around and have to spend $$ more to do the required maintenance (valve adj., belt replacement) on it.

Lastly, a "lightly" used injected 900SS wouldn't be a bad bike. But then, I'm kinda biased towards that model.

-Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode