748 Mechanical Question - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2004, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
HUS

Send a message via AIM to HUS Send a message via Yahoo to HUS
Question 748 Mechanical Question

I woke up this morning and went into the garage to start my ducati and the damn thing wouldn't start. The lights are on, the battery is charged, and yes the kickstand is up...so what's up? It won't make a sound! A buddy of mine said it sounded like a valve was completely stuck causing the motor not to turn over. I'm afraid the whole motor is locked up. Can someone help me out and tell me what the deal is and how much it'll cost to fix? Thanks

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
- Napoleon Bonaparte

"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his. "
- General George Patton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2004, 01:49 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to injected
Mine does this too. Switch ign on. Do you hear fuel pump? If no, check fuses; if yes, switch ign off, take the rh fairing off and locate the starter solenoid. It's by the battery and is about 1.5 in dia x 2 in long, rubber mounted. Switch ign back on, press starter. Does solenoid click? (Should be able to feel and hear it) If not tap it, it might start working. If it doesn't, change it. If it is clicking get a voltmeter and check that the starter motor is getting 12v with ign on and starter button pressed. If yes, is wire to starter getting hot? If yes, remove starter, try to turn it by hand. If it still doesn't work, change it.

My bet is the starter solenoid. I've got so good with mine that I can reach down through the fairing vent and tap it with my fingers when it doesn't work, and that fixes it. Kind of like a free anti-theft device....

Remember as long as you have the fuel pump whirr when you switch on ign, you can always push start it.

Last edited by injected; 02-19-2004 at 01:53 AM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2004, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
HUS

Alright

Ok "injected", I did that last night and yes the starter solenoid is clicking. I took it off to clean the connections that looked to be corroded. I put it back on and....nothing but clicking. Is the solenoid a rather inexpensive part and can I get it anywhere or just through Ducati? Also, are you saying that if it is clicking that it's not the solenoid but the starter? Thanks.

- Napoleon Bonaparte

"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his. "
- General George Patton

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2004, 06:45 PM

If it's clicking it's probably working. See if you have 12V at the starter terminal with the button pressed (use the crankcase for an earth). If you do, check to see whether the engine turns over (plugs out, put it in top and push it). If it does, try the button again (just in case) and then take the starter out and try the switch again. If the starter motor turns now, put it back and try it again. If no luck, change the starter.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2004, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
HUS

Angry

As soon as I got home from work yesterday, I got called right back out....so I didn't get to do anything to the bike yesterday, but today is Friday and I've taken myself off-call all weekend. I should get it fixed! I'll try what you said. Thanks for the advice.

- Napoleon Bonaparte

- General George Patton
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-23-2004, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
HUS

Red face

Hey Injected...or anybody else. Didn't get it fixed this weekend. Can someone walk me through the steps of removing the starter? Thanks.

- Napoleon Bonaparte

- General George Patton
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2004, 06:28 AM Thread Starter
HUS

Red face

Let me tell you where am at and how wrong it's going. Removed cable coming off the starter relay or "solenoid". I then (for some reason) removed the two bolts on top of the starter and the starter came apart in three pieces...the top (which houses the brushings), the center casing only, and the back of the starter (which is still stuck to the gearbox). Right now the gear and the back of the starter are stuck in the gearbox. I know I did something wrong but how in the hell can I get the starter out of there? I don't have to take the whole side of the motor off on the kickstand side to get this dang thing out do I? HELP!

- Napoleon Bonaparte

- General George Patton
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2004, 10:17 PM

Yes you have to take the left hand crankcase cover off. Don't worry though it's not that hard. I did the same thing to change my flywheel.

1. drain oil & water
2. remove clutch slave & pushrod
3. remove misc wiring and hoses
4. remove crankshaft inspection cover
4a. leave the water pump cover fitted
5. remove the other crancase bolts in diagonal pattern
5a. DO NOT TRY TO LEVER THE CRANKCASE COVER OFF
6. Screw an M8 bolt into the end of the crankshaft
7. Bolt a short length of steel bar over the head of this bolt, mounted in the two inspection cover bolt holes
8. Unscrew the M8 bolt in the crankshaft - as it winds out, it will make contact with your length of bar and pull the crankcase cover off
9. You can now access the three starter motor bolts (one is accessed through a hole in the large gear).

Don't you love having an Italian bike?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2004, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
HUS

Thumbs up

Thanks a lot man. I've been tied up with so much crap the past few days that poor 748 is still sitting in the garage half taken apart. I really appreciate your help in the matter.

- Napoleon Bonaparte

- General George Patton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode