916 vs R1 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2003, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

916 vs R1

So I realize its not a fair comparison given the age difference but looking at a late model 916 vs a 2001 R1. Every word written on both is great but the 916 with 10k on it is around 9500 vs about a third less for a nice R1. Anyone out ridden both with an opinion?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-09-2003, 07:30 AM

I've ridden a bit on a 98' 916SPS and have a few hundred miles logged on a 2000 996. I've also done a few hundred miles on my other friend's R1 so here's what I can tell you given that background:

As is obvious, they're completely different bikes and feel very different. The ducatis have this firmness to them that I've never felt in any other bike i've ridden. Riding them is really a unique and extremely fun experience. Largely because they're v-twins, the power delivery is very smooth. However, they are also hands down the most uncomfortable bike I've ever ridden. That and both those Ducati's I've mentioned have had lots of mechanical problems, Ducati didn't really spend much time engineering a bike that was good for the streets( i.e. stop and go traffic and whatnot ) and as a result they're uncomfortable and start to break when put through enough street stress.
As for the R1, they're pretty great. Tons of power and a real nice feel. Also it comes with the reliability and forsight of a japanese bike which has led the one we have to be problem free for the 22k miles we've logged.
Pretty much though I'd say no one should get a Ducati that doesn't know what they're signing on for. They're a weekend bike and not one thats up for the daily grind. Plus I've got a lot of love for the R1 so thats the way I lean. But as I said at the beginning, its difficult to compare because they're both made with different purposes in mind.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-09-2003, 12:18 PM

Send a message via AIM to DocThee Send a message via Yahoo to DocThee
Chuck996, how long have you been riding?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Keep the ride on...

AIM and Yahoo! - DocThee

"Anything can be a medicine or a poison."

Virtus Junxit Mors Non Seperabit

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-09-2003, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for response

Used to ride a bit 20 years ago so just re-stating. Old enough to recognize its not all about practicality - passion for the produt, expeience is driving factor. So to me there is no choice - it's get what moves you or not why bother. Obviously everyone has different things that drive the consideration.

Guess that was a long wined answer...
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2003, 12:18 PM

Chuck
I own both the 916 and R1. For me if i had to chose between the two i would definitely go with the 916. I love the way it feels in the canyons. I just feel alot more comfortable on this bike then I do on the R1.
This is my weekend bike only. If you are looking for a daily commuter then go with the R1. The Ducati will kill your wrist and in traffic it will burn you're A$$.

Last edited by cetro; 12-19-2003 at 05:44 PM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-19-2003, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by cetro
The Ducati will kill your risk and in traffic it will burn you're A$$.
I was trying to figure out what you were trying to say and then I realised you probably meant "wrist" and not "risk". Anyway, I concur that the Duc will burn your butt in traffic, even if you are cruising along on the streets. Those pipes get hot!!! It's definately designed to go fast.

Cetro, where in L.A. are you?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-19-2003, 06:20 PM

OOOOPS.
I'm in San Fernando Valley.

U?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-19-2003, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cetro
I'm in San Fernando Valley.

U?
Look to the left...
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-22-2003, 09:01 AM

I picked up a 2000 996 at a great price as an early Christmas present to myself, and all I can say is that it is an unique and exhilarating experience. All my prior bikes were in-line fours, and the twin has a much different feel. This is just a weekend bike, so I wasn't concerned much with comfort, but I did find it to be more comfortable for me than I previously thought.

But it definitely is not designed for long hauls. The Ducati also stands out, which may be good or bad depending on your outlook. When ever I parked my 900RR, it blended into the crowd, just another sportbike. The Ducati, however, is an attention magnet, from both riders and non-riders.

My opinion is the R1 would be a better all around ride, if you may do some longer rides. Also, I think from the performance numbers perspective, the R1 has the bragging rights, if that is important to you.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-22-2003, 04:15 PM

Chuck996

I've got to agree with Ted900 on this one. The R1 is probably an easier bike for day to day riding and anything over 200 miles I walk past the DUC and go for my Hayabusa.

BUT, the Ducati is unsurpassed on curb appeal and I can honestly say I'll own my DUC long after I've traded through my more sensible day bikes.

PS. My fiancee (ladybug) is pretty crazy about hers too

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode