Ducati 900 question? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-25-2003, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

Ducati 900 question?

First off HI to everyone, im pretty new to this forum been lurking for awhile time to come out.
Im thinking of getting a bike and was at my local shop today, they had a ducati 900ss it was a 96 model, looked mint, perfect condition, i know one of the guys in the service department, he told me he thinks the guy cleaned it with a cue-tip it was so clean, any ways it had 12,500 miles on it, it had a full exhaust system with carbon fiber cans(it sounded amazing), a carbon fiber side engine cover(guess the clutch), c.f. fender, they was wanting $6500 for it, wonder if that is a good deal. How well do they hold their value, are there any downfalls to this bike. And would it be a bike that a fairly new fresh rider could handle, i read somewhere that they only had like 70'ish h.p., that should be easier to hand than a 100+hp 600 right.
Anyways sorry to babble
thanks
nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-26-2003, 03:26 AM

I've always liked the 900ss, and i think $6500 is about right for a bike with 12k mi. The two things you should be made aware of...they are very expensive to fix and they have a very short maintainance interval. That makes them a little expensive to own, but if that isn't an issue than go for it, and good luck. Most new riders opt for something less expensive to fix an maintain, until they are more confident. The ducks tend to be a bit noisy, but that's part of their charm.

Silly squid...specs are for kids!

I prefer 4 strokes over 2 strokes...you get 2 extra strokes!!!

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds -Einstein
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-27-2003, 01:09 PM

Send a message via AIM to DocThee Send a message via Yahoo to DocThee
I have a '99 900SS and I love it. I bought the 900SS knowing it wasn't the fastest thing on the street. I bought it because it is something on a higher level. I bought it to be different. If this is your first bike, well, I would question the duck and perhaps go with something more common and less expensive to fix. The maintenence intervals are more frequent. I have learned to do most of it myself. This saves money. This also allows you to become more intimate with your bike. I love the look and sound of my bike, wouldn't trade it for anything.

There is nothing like the look of a Ducati and the beauty of the orchestral sound of the Desmo valves fluttering and the dry clutch clinging!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Keep the ride on...

AIM and Yahoo! - DocThee

"Anything can be a medicine or a poison."

Virtus Junxit Mors Non Seperabit

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-28-2003, 03:39 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
if you're not a new rider, make sure the belts have been changed fairly recently.

if you are a new rider and want a ducati, i'd suggest the 620 monster.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-28-2003, 04:50 AM

I just sold my 96 900SSSP. $6500 is a good price for that bike. If the bike has the carbon front and rear fenders along with the alum swingarm and adjustable suspension it's an SP. Good find.

One thing I will tell you is it's NOT a rookie riders bike. You have to deal with valve adjustments, cam belts and the dry clutch. The clutch makes it a bit harder to ride than a bike with a wet clutch. It engages differently and takes a while to get used to. If it's your first bike I would go with a Monster also. Dont dare drop the 900. From what the dealer told me is that Ducati doesnt make the body work for that bike anymore....
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-28-2003, 05:56 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
Quote:
Originally posted by The Godfather
I just sold my 96 900SSSP. $6500 is a good price for that bike. If the bike has the carbon front and rear fenders along with the alum swingarm and adjustable suspension it's an SP. Good find.
an sp for $6500, you gave someone an AWESOME deal. i always wanted a 900ss/sl. call me a dork, but i like yellow ducati's. it's not like the superlights were that much lighter.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode