Should i get a 748? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-16-2003, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Should i get a 748?

Im thinking about getting back into riding again and want a '99 to '01 Ducati 748, or the best i can afford i should say. I am 24 years old, 6 ft 200lbs, i only have a few years experience on a KX 125 dirt bike. I know that it might be a big step, but i just want to know if its not completely ridiculous. I will primarily be using it as a toy, not a daily driver, and when the time is right, track use. I am responsible, and im definitly going to be cautious taking time to ease into the bike. Im also planning to take the MSF course. If I can restrain myself from the throttle, shouldnt i be ok with this bike. In my mind i feel i can. Replies will definitly be appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-18-2003, 06:17 PM

A lot of people on this site try to scare people into getting smaller cc bikes. Dont get me wrong, the size of the engine in your bike isnt everything, but don't be afraid of a little power. I bought my 998 with little experience and I am doing fine after putting 2500 miles on my bike. Just know you limits and realize you are not on a dirtbike and the downside to falling is much greater because of the obvious difference between dirt and concrete.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-19-2003, 09:55 PM

I would say do it if you have the right mind set. A 250cc Honda Rebel can get you in trouble just like a 748. Most of the problems come from low speed tip overs for new riders on sportbikes, make sure you take that MSF course. Too bad you are not in CA because I am selling my 748L.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 748lad.jpg (16.3 KB, 126 views)

Bring lawyers, guns and money to get me out of this.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2003, 08:01 AM

Send a message via AIM to DocThee Send a message via Yahoo to DocThee
Quote:
Originally posted by Dante
A lot of people on this site try to scare people into getting smaller cc bikes. Dont get me wrong, the size of the engine in your bike isnt everything, but don't be afraid of a little power. I bought my 998 with little experience and I am doing fine after putting 2500 miles on my bike. Just know you limits and realize you are not on a dirtbike and the downside to falling is much greater because of the obvious difference between dirt and concrete.
It is all about throttle control.

Just make sure you ride the thing! I know a lot of guys with Duc's and they are afraid to get the tires dirty...you know. I love mine! It is different, and uncommon. Definitely a riding experience from ALL aspects. Go with it bro!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Keep the ride on...

AIM and Yahoo! - DocThee

"Anything can be a medicine or a poison."

Virtus Junxit Mors Non Seperabit
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-23-2003, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DocThee
[B]It is all about throttle control.

Thats my thoughts on it too. As long as you can handle the weight and feel comfortable on the bike. It should just be a matter of controling your speed. Just b/c you have a fast bike doesnt mean you have to go fast and it going to get away from you, does it?
BTW, i posted this same thread in the new riders forum as well, and ill they seem to do is comment on how non-ergonomically corret Duc's are and how they are sooo expensive to maintain , and that it is hard to find a mechanic knowledgable of Duc's, and on and on. I'd like to get the Ducati owners view on this please, b/c you havent even mentioned this.

Thank you.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-24-2003, 06:23 AM

I have a 2002 998 and no it is not the most comfortable bike in the world. But thats not what it was designed to be. It was designed for the track or to have people break their necks staring at you. As far as parts and maintenance, it depends on the parts you are talking about and where you can get the work done. I lucked out because I found a cert. mech. in clearwater, fl that works cheap and fair and allows me to watch and teach me what he's doing so I can do it myself next time.

The reason I bought one was because I couldnt see myself driving a bike that everyone else has. And I definitely accomplished that.

Dante
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-24-2003, 07:35 AM

Go to a private shop to have your work done on your bike if you did not buy it brand new. Some Ducati shops are known as stealers (not dealers) because of the prices they charge. As for comfort I put a set of Heli bars on my bike that raise the bars a little and it feels great now. Sargent and Corbin both make nice seats for the 748/9xx if you don't have a hard a$$. People that talk trash about Ducatis are the ones that don't know much about the bikes so you can just give them the finger.
Attached Images
File Type: gif jerkface.gif (18.1 KB, 94 views)

Bring lawyers, guns and money to get me out of this.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-27-2003, 01:14 PM

Send a message via AIM to DocThee Send a message via Yahoo to DocThee
Quote:
Originally posted by Dante

The reason I bought one was because I couldnt see myself driving a bike that everyone else has. And I definitely accomplished that.

Dante
That is for sure!

Maintenance isn't too bad. I learned slowly how to work on my own bike. There are a few boards on the net of great guys that can help you out too. PM me for details if you wish.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Keep the ride on...

AIM and Yahoo! - DocThee

"Anything can be a medicine or a poison."

Virtus Junxit Mors Non Seperabit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode