Ducati Monster....what do think? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-19-2003, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to slaintedan
Question Ducati Monster....what do think?

Anybody have an opinion and/or knowledge about the Ducati Monster? I see a lot of them around the 5 boroughs and they sound great! I don't know anybody who owns one and I'm curious what people think about them.

I've seen some pretty trick Monsters with awesome pipes and lots of carbon fiber...they seem pretty cool.

Me for Emperor of America!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-19-2003, 04:28 PM

What up Dan

My buddy has one up in N.C., It's a smooth all around bike..we swapped on day up near Deal's Gap and I rode it for about 10 miles.. very nice and smooth but not enough high end power... once I got to 4/5 gear it got sluggish...

Still a nice clean ride though no doubt!!!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2003, 08:15 AM

Send a message via AIM to DocThee Send a message via Yahoo to DocThee
I have always liked the monster. You can get them with some balls. http://www.ducati.com/bikes/my2004/d...delName=S4R-04

This one is sweet. Haven't ridden it yet, but I know it has the go! It is a good around town bike, with upper end speed if you want it. Monster's are a good starter bike, chick bike, tour bike, or main commute bike. There are a ton of aftermarket mods you can do, both cosmetic and performance. I applaud the monster, it is just my style. I like the more agressive posture on a bike. The higher end bikes come with the 99* engine, ohlins, marchesini wheels, etc. Good stuff!

Keep the ride on...

AIM and Yahoo! - DocThee

"Anything can be a medicine or a poison."

Virtus Junxit Mors Non Seperabit

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-04-2004, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

Well, my buddy just picked up a brand new Monster 800 Dark last night and he's in love. He said that other than valve adjustments every 6k miles there's no other major servicing needed for a Monster and I wondering if that's true. I'd love to get one, but I'm a bit apprehensive 'cause Ducs tend to need a bit more maintenance than most bikes, is this true or am I buying into a "myth" of sorts???

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-04-2004, 11:44 AM

Send a message via AIM to DocThee Send a message via Yahoo to DocThee
I have my '99 900ss, a two-valver. Just keep up with the valve checks (adjustments come if needed), and the oil. That is it. Nothing more than an inline 4. It seems like some Monster owners have a sort of cult following. Lots of aftermarket goodies for them...go fast and cosmetic.

It is a great commuter bike too! Get one, it will be your gateway into the Ducati passion. Aftermarket cans...vented clutch cover, great sounds...

Keep the ride on...

AIM and Yahoo! - DocThee

"Anything can be a medicine or a poison."

Virtus Junxit Mors Non Seperabit
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-04-2004, 12:02 PM

Ducati Monster 620i vs SV650

Get yourself an SV650. (Preferably an 02 or older....they look more like the monster) The SV is lighter,faster , more reliable,cheaper to buy and maintain, sound as nice when properly piped and have better ergonomics. Granted though...It's NOT a ducati......... Paul

Last edited by Paul650; 06-04-2004 at 12:04 PM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2004, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by DocThee
I have my '99 900ss, a two-valver. Just keep up with the valve checks (adjustments come if needed), and the oil. That is it. Nothing more than an inline 4. It seems like some Monster owners have a sort of cult following. Lots of aftermarket goodies for them...go fast and cosmetic.

It is a great commuter bike too! Get one, it will be your gateway into the Ducati passion. Aftermarket cans...vented clutch cover, great sounds...

What's the average cost for a valve adjustment? I don't mind getting a "serious" tune up regularly, I think it should be done anyway 'cause I'm one of those people who really likes to take care of my cars/bikes. I hope it's not too expensive though.

I see tons of Monsters in the city 'cause they're so good for commuting. Plus, every one I've seen is different 'cause there's so much you can do to customize them...that's a huge PLUS as far as I'm concerned.

I'll probably get a used one and I'm wondering if there are any particular models (year and displacement) that had problems and should be avoided?

Last edited by slaintedan; 06-05-2004 at 09:17 AM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2004, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Re: Ducati Monster 620i vs SV650

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul650
Get yourself an SV650. (Preferably an 02 or older....they look more like the monster) The SV is lighter,faster , more reliable,cheaper to buy and maintain, sound as nice when properly piped and have better ergonomics. Granted though...It's NOT a ducati......... Paul

Yeah, you don't have to sing the praises of the SV650 to me, I've been tossing around the idea of getting one for a couple years now. However, as great as the SV is, it's just not a Ducati.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 08:13 AM

Monster.... YES!

Monsters are pratically a religion to those who are fortunate to own them. I have a 2004 S4R and will NEVER get rid of it. After owning a BMW K-Bike and Gixxer... Nothing but a Duc will do now. You will love the angry torque, the modability, and the way people will swarm to your bike when it's parked. Even Harley geeks love my duc because it sounds better than there Harleys. They never go out of style. They are the original naked streetfighter. I recommenr a S4, S4R, or at least an S2. You will NOT regret it! Nothing sounds like a Duc with that dry clutch. Add some carbon pipes, open the air box, lose the clutch cover, and the sounds is pure bliss.

Ride Naked
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode