748..is it worth the sacrafice? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-21-2003, 05:51 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to Ricerun01
748..is it worth the sacrafice?

I have been riding for several years...only japanese bikes. I have built several from frame/engine only but I have no experience with Ducati. An oppertunity has presented itself for a 2000 Ducati 748 or 749, need look at bike again, cannot rememeber engine type, with 12k mi. Can someone give me a relatively unbiased opinion? Is the bike worth the extra $$? Stopped by dealership yesterday for second time in a couple days, so dealer is getting wise to my interest. Is it worth giving up my VTR1000?

"Do not let great ambitions overshadow small success." -The same fortune I got in a cookie in NY and KY...must mean something.

"Droning periods of mediocrity followed by flashes of brilliance."

"To be mediocre is to be cursed." -unknown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-21-2003, 06:34 AM
elo

Send a message via Yahoo to elo
The 749 is new for 2003, so it's a 748. Conveniently, Ducati names it's bikes after their cc's, so the motor is 748cc's.
I've not ridden a 748 but I do know that you'll be giving up quite a bit of hp going from a 1000cc twin to a 748cc twin.

The main tradeoff is that the Duc actually has suspension.

Most people will tell you it's not worth it with higher maintenance, higher repair costs, less power etc. Unless of course they are Ducatista, then they'll tell you that you'll love the 748 and never look back. In honesty there's no way to determine for someone else if it's worth it or not.

This is coming from someone who owns an Aprilia RSV Mille despite the above drawbacks, and it's chosen over the RC51, TLs and TLr.

Erica

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-Your one stop source for all things pocketbike!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-Official Website for the SouthWest Association of Pocketbikers
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-21-2003, 02:37 PM
Banned

for what it's worth,why not a 996-998-999?i do own a japanese bike and a ducati.i can tell you when i ride the 954 it feels "japanese"and the ducati feels like an"suv"there many advantages,too many to list, about a japanese bike.but i can tell you if you have some money to throw at the ducati do it.my duc eats up everything and it's great,seeing the look on people's faces in the pits or after a ride.just for the record my duc has 144 rwhp,the 954 153 rwhp,and the ducati chews it up every time!all the money i spent on it was worth it times ten.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-21-2003, 04:56 PM

I have talked to several Ducati sportbike owners and the general consensus is that Ducatis are NOT worth it. I have never owned a Ducati so I am only going on heresay. I always wanted a 916/996/998, but by the time I had the means to purchase one, I had heard to many complaints. I don't think anyone will argue that Ducatis are beautiful bikes, but reliability is very important. Especially when you're talking about a bike that is notoriously expensive to repair and maintain.

There used to be a Ducati dealership on 11th Ave in NYC. It closed down last year because the number of unhappy customers outnumbered the number of potential buyers and satisfied customers combined! I'm not knocking Ducati, but if you plan on doing a high percentage of street riding, you might want to stick with Japanese sportbikes .

'02 Liquid Silver YZF-R1...Akrapovic full Ti Evolution system...Graves velocity stacks...DynoJet PCIII...Ohlins steering damper/bracket...Galfer SS brake lines...EBC "HH"-rated brakepads...Yamaha factory seat cowl...Dussault "Next" Tail...Libertek flasher relay...Gregg's Customs LED front flushmounts...Yamaha factory spools...Intuitive frame sliders...Harri's '02 R1 grips and tank pad...compressed air horns...PIAA Extreme White headlights

'01 Silver/Black Honda CBR600F4i...Akrapovic Evolution system (Ti headers, C/F can)...Dynojet PCIII...Intuitive frame sliders...Extreme Graphics undertail...Scotts steering damper...Targa seat cowl...Eaglite Xenon headlights
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-21-2003, 06:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by ny2nj
I have talked to several Ducati sportbike owners and the general consensus is that Ducatis are NOT worth it. I have never owned a Ducati so I am only going on heresay. I always wanted a 916/996/998, but by the time I had the means to purchase one, I had heard to many complaints. I don't think anyone will argue that Ducatis are beautiful bikes, but reliability is very important. Especially when you're talking about a bike that is notoriously expensive to repair and maintain.

There used to be a Ducati dealership on 11th Ave in NYC. It closed down last year because the number of unhappy customers outnumbered the number of potential buyers and satisfied customers combined! I'm not knocking Ducati, but if you plan on doing a high percentage of street riding, you might want to stick with Japanese sportbikes .
nothing wrong with reliability.that's a total myth.maybe if what you say is true there was something wrong with the people running the dealership.the expensive maintenance everyone talks about comes into play every 6,000 miles,when the basis charge for valve adjustment is 6 hours labor.let's keep it real huh,"the consensus of ducati sportbike owners i talked to say they're not worth it"i don't think so.also if there is any truth to what you say about that ducati dealership,i'll find out and post what i find out.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-21-2003, 07:03 PM

Hey,

You have to ride it and see for yourself.

There is a guy down at the local shop with a really nice 748 pushing like 112 rhp and he spent mad money on it. His allways tring to sell me a Ducati.

He also said that service was more like every 3,000 miles and it does cost money to keep up with it. Maybe because of all the racing parts he put on it.

Donít buy it until you ride it!!!!

THAT BIKE HAS BEEN DESIGNED JUST FOR ME.
ITíS TOO MUCH FOR A KID LIKE YOU.
YOU JUST HAVE TO OPEN HER UP LIKE THIS........THAT'S CORNERING MAN.
THEN TRY KEEPING UP!!!!

Last edited by Drei; 03-21-2003 at 07:05 PM.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-22-2003, 03:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Drei
Hey,

You have to ride it and see for yourself.

There is a guy down at the local shop with a really nice 748 pushing like 112 rhp and he spent mad money on it. His allways tring to sell me a Ducati.

He also said that service was more like every 3,000 miles and it does cost money to keep up with it. Maybe because of all the racing parts he put on it.

Donít buy it until you ride it!!!!
of course you change the oil every 3,000 miles as with every motorcycle.valve adjustments need to be done every 6,000 miles.i was a service manager at a ducati dealership i think i would know.you're right on with ride it and see for yourself,as i've said many times before,if i listened or followed what people and magazines said i would have never owned a ducati.it's the best bike i ever owned and the only one i'll keep.already thinking of unloading the 954 for next years bike.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-22-2003, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by iccarref1026
nothing wrong with reliability.that's a total myth.maybe if what you say is true there was something wrong with the people running the dealership.the expensive maintenance everyone talks about comes into play every 6,000 miles,when the basis charge for valve adjustment is 6 hours labor.let's keep it real huh,"the consensus of ducati sportbike owners i talked to say they're not worth it"i don't think so.also if there is any truth to what you say about that ducati dealership,i'll find out and post what i find out.
Keep it real? Are you serious? What would I gain by lying about a bike I admit that I like? I guess you are an owner that feels his bike can do no wrong. God bless you brother, but one owner told me there is a site out there where members post complaints about their bikes. I cannot remember the name of the site, but if I find it, I will post it. Again, I admit, I have never owned a Ducati and I am not speaking from personal experience, but heresay.

'02 Liquid Silver YZF-R1...Akrapovic full Ti Evolution system...Graves velocity stacks...DynoJet PCIII...Ohlins steering damper/bracket...Galfer SS brake lines...EBC "HH"-rated brakepads...Yamaha factory seat cowl...Dussault "Next" Tail...Libertek flasher relay...Gregg's Customs LED front flushmounts...Yamaha factory spools...Intuitive frame sliders...Harri's '02 R1 grips and tank pad...compressed air horns...PIAA Extreme White headlights

'01 Silver/Black Honda CBR600F4i...Akrapovic Evolution system (Ti headers, C/F can)...Dynojet PCIII...Intuitive frame sliders...Extreme Graphics undertail...Scotts steering damper...Targa seat cowl...Eaglite Xenon headlights
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-22-2003, 06:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by ny2nj
Keep it real? Are you serious? What would I gain by lying about a bike I admit that I like? I guess you are an owner that feels his bike can do no wrong. God bless you brother, but one owner told me there is a site out there where members post complaints about their bikes. I cannot remember the name of the site, but if I find it, I will post it. Again, I admit, I have never owned a Ducati and I am not speaking from personal experience, but heresay.
maybe go back and read your comments.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-23-2003, 04:57 PM

This may have been the web site you were thinking of:

http://www.cowin-tech.com/ducati/

My tombstone will read: "It seemed like a good idea at the time."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode