ducati 999 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-26-2002, 01:07 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up ducati 999

I finally got my first issue in the mail of motorcyclist and on the front was the new ducati 999. I must say i was extremely impressed with it. Cheers to Ducati on a well made / looking bike!!! . Now if only they would cut the price in half

there's hope in the words and emotion in the eyes
it's so easy to be misled by the savvy gentle guise
and like fools we trust the delivery
but it's all just drunk sincerity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-30-2002, 08:02 PM

Send a message via AIM to old squid

First time I had seen the bike was when I got home from work last night and looked at the magazine. I think it's kind of ugly in comparison to the 998, but maybe it's on of those deals where the looks grow on you.

Steve
----------
2002 Subaru WRX Sedan
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-31-2002, 08:18 AM

Send a message via AIM to BamBam Send a message via Yahoo to BamBam
Re: 999

Quote:
Originally posted by old squid
I think it's kind of ugly in comparison to the 998, but maybe it's on of those deals where the looks grow on you.
I got that magazine last night and am in two minds now about the looks... it's not as immediately striking as the 916 style but is stunning compared to everything else out there, I reckon!!
Also, there is an editorial in that issue where some guy who's been around the bike for quite a while says just what you said more or less, that it takes some time before you can really accept it.
Also, there is a bit which describes the 999 and 998 parked next to each other and reports that the 999 is really tiny in comparison, I think it said the 998 seems frumpy next to it (or something like that).
Wow, I am really looking forward to seeing this bike in person.

Cheers, Bill (BamBam)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

I live in fear of not being misunderstood. ~ Oscar Wilde

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-31-2002, 08:39 AM

Send a message via AIM to lucifer Send a message via Yahoo to lucifer
Just say it you wusses. The bike is ****in ugly!

There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright red, hunchback, warp-speed 900cc café racer is one of them -- but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one. That is why they are dangerous.
H.S.T.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-31-2002, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by lucifer
Just say it you wusses. The bike is ****in ugly!
He he.. not 'til I've actually seen one!!
THEY (who shall remain nameless) said my baby was fugly too - but she's a flippin' beauty.

Cheers, Bill (BamBam)

-
-

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-31-2002, 09:00 AM

Send a message via AIM to kvpZX9R
I didn't think Ducati could do it... they made an ugly bike even uglier. I don't know what it is about them, but the 9xx line has never been visually appealing to me.

PCS me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's a darn poor scholar that can only spell a word one way

My school taught the 3 R's - Racin', Rasslin', & Rodeo.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-31-2002, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kvpZX9R
I didn't think Ducati could do it... they made an ugly bike even uglier. I don't know what it is about them, but the 9xx line has never been visually appealing to me.
snicker snicker... nice one mate, now what bike do you ride? an ORANGE KAWASAKI !!! yuk yuk yuk... you're pulling our plonkers... surely!?

Cheers, Bill (BamBam)

-
-

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-31-2002, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BamBam

snicker snicker... nice one mate, now what bike do you ride? an ORANGE KAWASAKI !!! yuk yuk yuk... you're pulling our plonkers... surely!?
Nope...Call me crazy, but I have never liked the looks of the bodywork.

I will admit that pic of a black 999 was much better than the red. I'm not that fond of that tone of red.

PCS me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-31-2002, 09:42 AM

Actually KVP, I just went to your photo gallery. The 'Orange Kawasaki' remark is a bit of a simplification - it's actually quite a tasteful metallic effect - rather smart I reckon. Whoops... sorry bout that!
No accounting for taste - the 916 is a wildly popular style though - you are probably in a tiny minority not liking it at all.
Having said that, the Motorcyclist magazine article makes some interesting points about design vs styling. Many detractors slag off Terblanche for putting form before function but the article seems to show the reverse. He's removed a lot of the 'pretty' useless aspects of the superbike (eg beautiful but fiddly and overweight exhaust and swingarm) and made the new bike more practical to manufacture, maintain and ride... but - no sign that all these savings are going to bring the price down.. ha ha - that would be too much to ask. How'd he manage to reduce the number of parts by 28% make the bike noticeably smaller and yet STILL increase the weight??

Cheers, Bill (BamBam)

-
-

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-31-2002, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BamBam
you are probably in a tiny minority not liking it at all.
The only thing I'd change in this statement is "probably" to definitely.

PCS me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode