Wheelie-ing Your Duc... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-14-2002, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Wheelie-ing Your Duc...

I was at a Bike Fest in Huntington Beach, Ca a couple of weeks ago and saw a couple guys wheelie-ing their 748's. One guy was able to get it up at a 10 o'clock position and do a one footer standup. My question is: How the hell do they do this? I can only get my Duc to go six inches at most.

Here's how i'm doing it and maybe one of you guys or girls can help--While rolling in 1st, Rev up to about 8-9 RPM and blip the throttle (instant on/off), and then i open up the throttle, the front wheel goes up a couple if inches and comes down again. This "one inch wheelie" lasts about two seconds. What am I doing wrong?

Also has anyone tried doing an endo on their Ducati? If so, please show me how!!

Sorry, don't mean to sound like such a newbie, but i've been riding motorcycles for awhile now and can hang in the canyons, but i really want to learn some trick riding for my own amusement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-15-2002, 09:30 AM

Send a message via AIM to dpasseto
Well, I enjoy tricks myself. First of all, what Duck do you have? If it's a 748, they're not powerful enough(in my opinion). I rode one and really struggled to bring it up in 1st. 2nd was a nightmare. My 996 is pretty easy in first, do as you were with the on/off the throttle but then as you feel your revs slowing you down, preload the front forks by pushing down on your bar. As you feel your forks push back up, crack the throttle. Becareful, once you're up past 10 o'clock, it comes up quick so ease the throttle.

Stoppies - (balls required) From 35-50 mph, shift your weight forward and with only two fingers on the brake lever, slowly squeeze until you feel it come up. It takes a lot of practice for you to learn when it feels right.

BTW.....I'm not responsible for you looping out your bike. Just be on the safe side of every attempt. Don't push it if it doesn't feel right!!

Good luck

I'd rather be on my Duck!
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-15-2002, 09:39 AM

Not that I care, but you may notice there will be some oil visiting your airbox as the frequency of your squid activities increases...........

My tombstone will read: "It seemed like a good idea at the time."

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-15-2002, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Talking

dpasseto: the bike i have is a 748, but i've seen people wheelie them pretty high, that's why i was asking b/c i couldn't get mine the same height.

desmo: Thanks for the warning! Is the oil coming from inside the engine and out the air filter or another source?
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-15-2002, 12:03 PM

Desmo - life is short - as your signature states. I'm not some squid who pulls wheelies at every chance I get . I'm also not some old man who uses not being able to do wheelies as an excuse for why they are bad

Craz - The oil he's talking about is going to come from that bleeder valve that comes from the case of the motor and into your airbox. It's near the back of the bike by the shock on the right side. I recently pulled my gas tank off to top off coolant and I had no "oil visits".

As for having a 748, I'm sure you can wheelie it using your clutch but I don't recommend it with a dry clutch. Becareful.....don't be a squid!!!

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-15-2002, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help... Saw your other post...I too wish this forum was more lively! The only other one i know of is esportbike.com
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-15-2002, 02:25 PM

dpasseto - All I was trying to say was there could be some adverse effects. I know you were just teasing........just trying to help out what few wise souls we have here who own desmos!

My tombstone will read: "It seemed like a good idea at the time."
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-15-2002, 06:14 PM
Banned

craz3,believe me you have plenty of torque to do a wheelie.8-9,000 rpm is a little to high.try it between 5-6 and grab a handful it'll come up.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-16-2002, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanks will try it out tonight
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-17-2002, 05:41 AM

Desmo - you know I was just messin' with you. I can definitely appreciate when someone has more common sense than me.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode