Worn rear sprocket.. - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-08-2002, 07:11 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to BamBam Send a message via Yahoo to BamBam
Unhappy Worn rear sprocket..

Hi folks.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

When I got back from a ride on Saturday, my rear sprocket was all messed up, the teeth were REALLY worn down - to almost half what they should be.
I noticed it because nearing home, the chain was 'skipping' occasionally under power. It seemed kind of sudden but to be honest I hadn't looked at the sprocket for wear for a while.
Is there a common cause for this sort of thing or do sprockets just wear out!! It has about 12K miles on it. This does seem rather drastic though - there were hardly any points left on the teeth at all..

I tend to run my chain a little on the loose side, would that account for it?

I have replaced the sprocket now with the original (barely used) stock item but am searching for intelligence about the probably cause of the wear.

Any help would be appreciated.

(I posted this request for help on the infopop ducati forum also.)

Cheers, Bill (BamBam)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

I live in fear of not being misunderstood. ~ Oscar Wilde

Last edited by BamBam; 07-08-2002 at 07:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-08-2002, 02:07 PM
Resident Smartass

Hey Bill, if the sprocket was aluminum, 12K is not surprising. Your front sprocket and chain are likely pretty well trashed at this point too. Unless your chain was dragging-the-ground loose, it is not the problem. Check out www.onoffroad.com for a new set of chain and sprockets. Prices are probably lower than you think, and definetly lower than the repair costs to your engine case and/or your leg should the chain break.

Suck mean people!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-08-2002, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to BamBam Send a message via Yahoo to BamBam
Thanks for the comments Tristan, I'm going to take your advice (concurred with by a few other folk) and get a new set... now begins the research..

Thanks for the link too.

When will we see you down in Hocking Hills BTW - we're all getting a bit slow and rusty without you to keep the pace up...

Cheers, Bill (BamBam)

-
-

I live in fear of not being misunderstood. ~ Oscar Wilde

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-09-2002, 01:24 PM
Resident Smartass

I rode with Mark and a few others 2 weeks ago. Wanted to go last sat., but my kid has swimming lessons. Maybe this weekend...

Suck mean people!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-15-2002, 09:36 AM

Send a message via AIM to dpasseto
12k isn't surprising. Mine only last 8k last time. buy AFAM. They've got good sprockets. Front and rear. Make sure you do the chain too or else your old chain could mess up your new sprockets.

I'd rather be on my Duck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode