a 600 supersport or a 748 sport ducati? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-14-2002, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to kismet_710 Send a message via Yahoo to kismet_710
a 600 supersport or a 748 sport ducati?

Which one would be better for a beginner bike? I am looking at the duc. The price is ver affordable for a duc and not only that it looks awesome. If anyone has any experience on comfort and how the bike handles please private message me or email me or reply on here. I am really fascinated about this bike. I also have a pretty good feeling that I will get this bike for my first bike. I know the new super sport cookie cutter 600's got alot more horsepower than the 748. I am more worried about handling and comfort than anything else. I know I have been on here before asking which bike is better blah, blah, blah, but, how am I supposed to learn anything without asking? This bike is dirt cheap compared to other 750 bikes, not only that but, I don't need the extra horsepower that accompanies a gsxr 750 or a zx-7r or any other 600 or 750 inline four. I would much appreciate some good quality feedback than rude comments please!!

I don't mean to be rude, but your tires are showing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-14-2002, 08:47 PM

I'll try to give you my opinion on this matter. I've owned my R6, or what you deemed as a cookie-cutter Japanese bike for about 3 years as my first bike. Now I know people don't recommend this course of action, and honestly I probably wouldn't recommend it either, but I fell in love with it and had to have it. I loved it! I still love it!! However, I always had a deep yearning for an Italian V-Twin. This all came to fruition when I recently purchased a Ducati 748S.

Here's my comparison:
If you are looking for comfort in any way, shape, or form-- you have to stay away from the Ducati. There is no way in hell you'll be able to ride that bike "comfortably" for more then an hour. That's just a fact of life for a Ducati owner. The ergonomics are extremely aggressive, but would you expect anything less from a bike that is bred from a racing heritage. Yes, the Japanese 750's & even 600's blow the Ducati out of the water when it comes to pure horsepower. Another unfortunate fact of life for us Ducatistas. However, when the suspension is properly dialed-in (which takes some trial and error), it feels like the Ducati anticipates your every input even before you've done it. It's that good!!! Now my R6 is no slouch when it comes to carving around a racetrack, but the 748 begs to be leaned over as far as the laws of physics allow. The parts and service for the Ducati, or any Italian machine for that matter, are exorbitant at best. But perhaps the most powerful force to consider in making your decision has to be the beauty of the bike. Some of my friends disagree with me, but IMHO, the Ducati is one of the most beautiful bikes ever produced, hands down! The lines of the bike are aggresive but not overstated. And how can you deny the sheer elegance of the single-sided swingarm? Rolling art! Don't get me wrong... I love my R6 and how it looks, but the Italians know a thing or 2 about art and machinery. No wonder it was the epicenter of the Renaissance.

Well, these are just some of my thoughts. Agree... disagree... whatever. It was fun to write it down. If this is your first bike, perhaps you might want to gain some experience on a lower cc bike, but I empathize with your desire to own either of these bikes. Enjoy making the decision!

Last edited by 7Forty8; 06-14-2002 at 08:51 PM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2002, 03:49 AM Thread Starter

748s or 748sport?

I am just simply replying back to let you know that the 748 I am talking about is the sport model, not the super sport solid faired red and yellow ones. I am talking about the funky shaped ones. Maybe this is the bike your talking about, who knows. The pic I have posted is the bike I am reffering too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg allsixgears_1681_25456302.jpg (49.6 KB, 134 views)

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2002, 04:43 AM

kismet_710,
7forty8 is refering to the superbike series of Ducatis. Similar to the bikes raced in farious AMA & FIM races. i.e what Bostom & Bayliss ride or at least that body style. The pic you show is of the Supersport series of bikes. This is a mid-level Ducati....air cooled twin, adj. suspension just not the quality components found on the Superbike series. The sport series only comes in a half faired flat black/charcoal color still air cooled, but with pretty much non-adjustable suspension. This bike is the entry level Ducati. Personally if I was going to spend the money for a Ducati I would would bite the bullet and get the superbike 748R

South Central Race Center
Dunlop, Bridgestone & VP Fuel
www.scracecenter.com
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2002, 07:26 AM

That bike on the picture you posted is a 750 sport, similar to the 750 Super Sport. But not to be confused with their 748/998 bikes.

I think I know what's confusing you, the 750 sport also has a 748cc engine capacity like the 748 bike, only that it's an air cooled 2 valve per cylinder Desmodromic.

The 748r and 750 sport are completely different bikes. Try reading more about it at www.ducati.com
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2002, 10:33 AM

Well hell
I stand corrected. The only difference I can see between the 750 sport and the 750 SS is the front forks. The SS has better quality forks. I also was under the assumption that the sport was a half faired only bike. With that in mind I would have to say get the sport. The forks are good enough I would think. There was quite a lot of $ difference between the SS and the sport .... about $2500. although the Texas heat would make you think twice about leaning on the HOT black tank .(black is the only color the sport comes in). Either way the 748R superbike series is the only way to fly

South Central Race Center
Dunlop, Bridgestone & VP Fuel
www.scracecenter.com
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2002, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

all I gotta say is, WHOS YO DADDY!!!!!!! JUST PLAYIN!!! sorry, I have this big time thing where I am very very competitive with information. I sit down and have arguements about stuff that relates to things I know and other people do, maybe I should get a job with hannity and colmes? maybe, or I could become a mechanic and argue with dealership people who don't know what they are talking about and squids like me (did I say that?). There is a half faired version you can get but according to the pics there are two different styles. I think it looks kinda sexy, only problem is, is that florida heat sucks just as much and everywhere I would go would be parkin it up under a building. By the way, is that legal to do? I see alot of guys doing that lately. There is a publix by my house, a guy has a gixxer 600 and he parks it up by the entrance door. If this is possible, I may have found my solution to a hot saddle. By the way, I meant supersport, but, if you look on the website it says 748s maybe I didn't read it right oh well.

Last edited by kismet_710; 06-18-2002 at 06:25 PM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2002, 11:17 PM

Send a message via AIM to ga_skyline_rydr Send a message via Yahoo to ga_skyline_rydr
Ducs tend to be pricey?

Kismet,
I have seen a number of Ducatis and I think they tend to be a little on the expensive side. I haven't really studied the Ducati but flipping around the different publications the ones I have seen tend to be a bit pricey compared with the "old rice burners".
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2002, 11:32 PM
Founder

If I were to buy anything other than a Kawasaki (within reason of course ) these would be my first three choices.

#1 Ducati 998
#2 Honda RC51
#3 Suzuki SV650

(ssshhh.... don't tell anyone!)

I've never been a big fan of the 750 Sport/SS model Ducatis.

Robert Basil
SportbikeWorld.com Founder
PocketbikePlanet.com Founder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2002, 11:39 PM

Send a message via AIM to ga_skyline_rydr Send a message via Yahoo to ga_skyline_rydr
Quote:
Originally posted by Robert
If I were to buy anything other than a Kawasaki (within reason of course ) these would be my first three choices.

#1 Ducati 998
#2 Honda RC51
#3 Suzuki SV650

(ssshhh.... don't tell anyone!)

I've never been a big fan of the 750 Sport/SS model Ducatis.
Did you once say that you usually don't ride bikes on the street just the track? If so, are your above choices based on a street scenario or a track or possibly both.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode