Another Newbie!!!! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-14-2002, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to dpasseto
Lightbulb Another Newbie!!!!

Hey guys...just bought my friends 996 from him. I couldn't be happier (other than the ride comfort). What a great bike! My question is, are these bikes as finicky as people claim they are? i.e. Don't push it over 9000RPM, Don't do wheelies, Get the valves done every 6000 miles. I just changed the oil with AMS oil. $10/quart...God damn!!!! Anything else I should know about this bike? Please Enlighten me!!

I'd rather be on my Duck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-14-2002, 10:36 AM

Valve adjustment and timing belt intervals are not to be messed with. Other than that, don't baby it.

I'll never get over Macho Grande
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-14-2002, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

wheelies

What about Wheelies???? How much of a wheelie can you do before starving the front cylinder? I'm not a Starboy but I like to show off every now and again with a second gear stand up!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-15-2002, 12:47 PM

Talking

you should look into getting one of those Ducati manuals. they show you how to do everything and tell you what you should check at what mileage. I've only had my 748 about a month but i plan on babying the engine to the fullest to prevent/avoid any reliability problems. I push the bike and my skills to the limit in the canyons and wouldn't want anything to go wrong.

As far as reving, i kept it under 7 rpm when i was breaking it in. But now that that's finished with i take it all the way up sometimes. I've read and have been told by several ducati mechanics that the bike was made to rev really high consistently (the nature of a race bike). I'm about 99% sure on this. I've also read that most people only use about 60-70% of their bikes potential. This would probably explain why most keep it at a certain rpm and not redline it or in a ducati's case greenline it.

for the finicking engine part. IMO the engine always sounds like its going to fall apart, especially if you have a vented clutch cover. My duc had problems getting in to neutral at first but then progressively got better at correcting itself. My brother's duc was fine at first and is now getting the neutral problem. So I would say yes to your question. Every engine has its quirks but i would be too worried about it as long as you baby it like i plan on doing.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-15-2002, 06:59 PM

When was the last time you heard a Ducati owner complain about floating the valves? Take it out and beat the tar out of it once and a while! These motors loved to be rev'd. I agree about being religious about the maintenance, but since you're paying for it, you might as well use it................enjoy

My tombstone will read: "It seemed like a good idea at the time."
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-17-2002, 05:47 AM Thread Starter

I can definitely tell that this bike likes the high revs because of the gearing. It doesn't seem to make power until 5000RPM and I think it's torquiest at about 8000rpm.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode