748 vs 600 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-24-2002, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

748 vs 600

Ok, I've just read through a couple of posts and had a couple of questions on the comparison of the Ducati 748 and other 600s (ex R6, gixxer 6) I've always had the impression that the 748 was just a little bit weaker in power but from what i read it seems as though the Duc is a lot weaker. Why would a Duc with 748cc be weaker than a 600cc japanese bike? What advantage does the Duc have over the 6's ? It also seems as though the Ducs aren't as reliable and have to be serviced more at twice the price. Is exclusivity the main reason people purchase Ducs?

Thanks for reading.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-24-2002, 02:22 PM

I think if you research that issue you wil find a loooong thread that should answer all of your questions.

Once you try track, you never go back.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-24-2002, 02:24 PM

748s vs the 4's

748 vs R6

Last edited by desmo079; 05-24-2002 at 02:29 PM.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-24-2002, 05:18 PM

Re: 748 vs 600

Quote:
Originally posted by Craz3
What advantage does the Duc have over the 6's?
Say it with me desmo...RESALE!

It also seems as though the Ducs aren't as reliable and have to be serviced more at twice the price. Is exclusivity the main reason people purchase Ducs?

Methinks you may be on to something...

All I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by.
'Course, if there's a hot tub at the end of a long day in the saddle, who am I to complain?
Concours Owners Group
AMA Life Member
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-24-2002, 05:42 PM

Re: Re: 748 vs 600

Quote:
Originally posted by basicblur

Say it with me desmo...RESALE!

It also seems as though the Ducs aren't as reliable and have to be serviced more at twice the price. Is exclusivity the main reason people purchase Ducs?

Methinks you may be on to something...
Hey! I got $6,000.00 for my '95 900SS SP (16K mi) in Oct of 2001. OTD new in '95 for $11,000.00.

You are not being very pragmatic about your assessment of Ducati reliability

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-05-2005, 08:52 AM

Send a message via AIM to conrice
the fact that it is a V-twin is an advantage, mainly because of the torque... that will help a rider with less expirience get through corners quicker than the inline 4's.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-05-2005, 11:52 AM

i came from a line up of i4 bikes, the last being an r6, before getting on a ducati so i'll give you my

i'll start off by mentioning that i didn't jump on the standard 748 so my comparison may not apply.

my 748R is by no means down on power compared to any 600 and up big on torque. however, it's also up on weight by about 40+lbs. you are correct regarding the standard 748's as they are down on power, but the torque is still there. the power or lack of power has to do with head design or efficiency and evolution/technology favors the i4's in this department.

the big difference is power delivery. i4 bikes are dogs until 7k rpms and pull like someone pushed a nitrous button from 9k to 14k. because of this they require a much more careful application of throttle...especially mid corner or exiting. twins have a very broad powerband ussually starting as low as 3k rpms that pulls EVENLY all the way through to redline. this makes getting on the power easier and therefor possibly earlier when exiting corners.

besides the even powerband and torque, the advantages the duc's will have over the 600's is corner stability and feedback. out of the box, you will never get a japanese bike to out perform a duc in these areas.

service intervals are the same (when going by the book), but valve maint is where you hear the most hype. the valve train on ducs does require a more proactive approach. you can't miss a check up like you can on a japanese bike and not risk big money repairs. there are aftermarket valve retaining systems that will basically give you the same reliability and valve service interval as any japanese bike if you decide to go that route. finding a good mechanic is the first step and most ducati owners know NOT to go to a dealer (although there are a few good ones) and because of this i have found service costs to be no greater than what i paid for the r6.

in my experience, overall reliability is no less than any of the japenese bikes i've owned.

exclusivity is not the main reason i bought a duc, although it is one of them. it's nice to go for a ride and not see EVERYONE on "your" bike. the passion i have for this bike can't be compared to any other bike i've owned. the japanese have been trying to copy the looks of the "superbike" for years...without success. the japanese do make some good looking bikes but they still pale in comparison when side-by-side to the italian version. and the sound of the ducati twin is again unrivaled by ANY i4.

-Mikey

2000 748R

Last edited by chiromikey; 06-05-2005 at 11:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode