Getting a New Duc...questions - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2002, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

Getting a New Duc...questions

Hello,

I'm new to this forum. I'm in the middle of negotiating a deal on two new Ducati's a 2002 Red 748 Biposto and a 2001 Yellow 748 Monoposto (one for my Bro). After reading a couple of posts, its seems that not too many people are fond of the Yellow color. Why is this? I seem to like yellow a lot more than the Red, but i guess thats just me. I was wondering how much it would cost to convert the monoposto into a biposto and where i could get the parts. (i would buy a biposto but they don't have anymore 2001's in stock) Is there anything else i should know before i finalize the deal?

Also, I'm going to the dealer this weekend and they said they might be getting some 2001 996's in. Besides the obvious in engine sizes & price, what are the pluses and minuses between the 996 and 748.

Thanks for helping out a newbie!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2002, 07:47 AM

I think it is more a question of "should anything from Italy be yellow?"

If you like the yellow, get the yellow. I happen to like the red, but both look good.

As for the mono-bip question, I've seen this question before, and as I recall, the bip has a stronger rear subframe to support a passenger, while the mono does not. I could be wrong, but I think you can easily go from a bip to a mono, but not the other way around. It is not as easy as just putting new bodywork on the a$$ end of the bike.

I'll never get over Macho Grande
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2002, 11:40 AM

Re: Getting a New Duc...questions

Quote:
Originally posted by Craz3
Hello,

I'm new to this forum. I'm in the middle of negotiating a deal on two new Ducati's a 2002 Red 748 Biposto and a 2001 Yellow 748 Monoposto (one for my Bro). After reading a couple of posts, its seems that not too many people are fond of the Yellow color. Why is this? I seem to like yellow a lot more than the Red, but i guess thats just me. I was wondering how much it would cost to convert the monoposto into a biposto and where i could get the parts. (i would buy a biposto but they don't have anymore 2001's in stock) Is there anything else i should know before i finalize the deal?

Also, I'm going to the dealer this weekend and they said they might be getting some 2001 996's in. Besides the obvious in engine sizes & price, what are the pluses and minuses between the 996 and 748.

Thanks for helping out a newbie!
Hey Craz3, good choice. Ducatis are wonderful bikes. I still miss my '95 900SS SP.

I have not ridden a 748 or a 916/996/996, but I can give you a summation of what I have heard and read, since no one has answered your question. The 996 will, of course, have more torque and therefore shifting won't be as critical. What I have heard is that the 748 more fun to ride because you really have to work the bike to get it to really haul. I would assume that since the frames are identical, the handling will be about the same, which is to say FANTASTIC.

Hope this helps.

Once you try track, you never go back.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2002, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, Desmo079 & Bobas.

Would you guys happen to know if there are any particular problems i should know about these bikes. I will most likely go with the 748's.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2002, 01:14 PM

I wouldn't get a mono with the plan of converting to bip without getting FIRM quotes from the dealer as far as how much it would cost. OTOH, why would you want a bip 748, they're too weak and uncomfortable for any real 2-up riding from what I've heard.

Awesome bikes though, but is this your first bike??? If so I would definitely get the 748 over the 996. But still, it's got to be $1000 just to fix a tip over on one of those?????

Problems??: None that I know of other than frequent valve adjustment requirements which will get expensive and annoying if you can't/won't learn to do it yourself and are riding a fair amount of miles.

What have you ridden before?

What kind of deal are they giving you??

Later.............

Repeal helmet laws, they only protect people we most likely don't need in the gene pool any way!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2002, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Craz3
Thanks, Desmo079 & Bobas.

Would you guys happen to know if there are any particular problems i should know about these bikes. I will most likely go with the 748's.
A long time ago, there was a discussion about 748. I do remember it was a good idea to start them up and run them AT LEAST once a month to keep oil in the top end. Other than that, after the break-in period and initial tune-up have the valves checked every 6,000mi and use synthetic oil, but ONLY after the first 1,500mi or so.

Once you try track, you never go back.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2002, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by apexismaximus
OTOH, why would you want a bip 748, they're too weak and uncomfortable for any real 2-up riding from what I've heard.

Problems??: None that I know of other than frequent valve adjustment requirements which will get expensive and annoying if you can't/won't learn to do it yourself and are riding a fair amount of miles.

I got a bip just for the couple-few occasions that I may need it. It still looks sharp, though I pity anyone that has to sit back there. I guess it was just an absurd way to try to justify the purchase. You know, "it is useful"

As for problems, I have had none so far, except the connector came out of the starter relay when I was at a gas station. I just bump-started it and figured the problem out at home. Easy fix. Other than that, watch out for the service bills. The warranty period requires valve adjusts at the dealer. Oh, and I am a big fan of getting a rear hugger to keep the rear tire from throwing gravel up in the engine. I have a long gravel driveway, so it tends to be a problem for me.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2002, 08:36 PM

Very nice BIke !!!

Hey craz3, I have and love the 748 Ducati (mine is yellow). I think that it is personal preference between the colors. I have put 1400 miles on mine since I bought it and have had no problems at all. I will get a tune up at 6000 miles and keep the maintenance up. These bikes handle really good and go like hell !!! If you look around, you should be able to get one for around 10K with very low mileage. Good luck on your decision what ever it is....

Lock the doors, call the police, and bring in the swat team
Jims748duc has entered the room !!!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2002, 09:55 PM

Re: Very nice BIke !!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Jims748Duc
If you look around, you should be able to get one for around 10K with very low mileage.
I got mine as dealer overstock from 2000 and paid $10,500. It was still in the crate, and I took the side panel for the garage.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2002, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

To the Fellas:

I began riding about a year and a half ago. I started with a Kawasaki 250 ninja, and moved on to the R6, F4i, 929, and Gsxr 750. The only one i actually owned was the Ninja, while all the other's were my friends who allowed me to put hundreds of miles on each one(talk about good friends). Anyway, i've been saving up and am in the process of bargaining the two Ducs. The reason i want a Ducati is b/c of the sound, looks, and exclusivity. I'm going with the 748 b/c i think that i could utilize the bike's potential better. The 929 and the Gsxr 750 were way too much power for me and the F4i, R6 were far too common. The power on the 600's, IMO, was a little underpowered and seating position was a little awkward. Call me crazy but i actually think that the Duc is a little more suiting to my size(5'7" 155lbs) and I feel more in control of the bike. It also reminds me of my 250 Ninja's nimbleness through the canyons. That's where i do most of my riding aside from commutes.

Apexis: the reason why i'm choosing to get the Biposto is because I have a girlfriend that I may occasionally take on cruises and what not. Also, it offers the other females a place to ride since they're always asking.
As far as the deal i'm making on the two Ducs---2002 Red Bip 748 & 2001 mono yellow 748 (Both Zero Miles)--- I'm offering 22K, cash out the door. Is this a good deal?

One more Question: How hot does that passenger seat get and do the cans get close enough to burn the passenger?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode