Ducati 998 help - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2002, 05:09 AM Thread Starter

Smile Ducati 998 help

Hi everyone, I am new here and new to sportbikes. I just put a deposit on a 2002 red 998 bi posto. I have been told that Ducati has some reliability problems. I am tall (6'5") and I fit on the bike and I did not fi on the Aprilia Mille due to the leg cut out on the tank did not fit me.
PLEASE tell me all about the Ducati 998!
Thanks in advance, Mike C.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2002, 05:30 AM

Send a message via AIM to RCjohn
They aren't quite as reliable as their Japanese counterparts but they really aren't bad either. It also seems like the unrealiable ones are just ones that get bugs in them or aren't maintained properly. If you keep up with the normal maint. on it then you should be fine. You are very likely to have a long and happy relationship.

Ducati still sucks.

John

The sheep need love too but they lie.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2002, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

John thanks for the reply and honest answer. I have to know why you hate Ducati though? I went to look at a Honda CBR954RR and the Suzuki GSX1000. Because of my height I fit better on the the Honda. I still will look at the Yamaha R1 later today. However the Ducati just has that WOW COOL factor and I just think the Ducati 998 looks awesome. Hummmm
Mike C.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2002, 10:19 AM

Send a message via AIM to RCjohn
I only hate them when it is useful on the internet.

If money isn't an issue then stick with the 998. It will be way more fun than the open class bikes.

I do think they are overpriced though.

John

The sheep need love too but they lie.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2002, 10:25 AM

The awesome Duc

Hi Mike C:
I owned a harely for 6 years and recently sold it and bought a Ducati 748 (2000) with 3000 miles on it and in excellent shape. I have put 2000 miles on it since I have owned it and have had no problems at all. I am told that you need a 6000 mile tune up and as long as you keep up with the normal maintenance you will be fine. Before I bought this I had the same feelings and did a lot of research on ducati. I also looked at the Aprilia, honda, yamaha and GXSR's. The honda, yamaha, and GXSR's are faster, and it seems more maintenance free but they do not have the look, sound and feel of the ducati. There are a lot of ducati forums to check out www.ducati.com and a lot of others where there are ducati lovers. My impressions of the bike is that it is awesome, fit and finish is perfect, it starts right up, goes like hell !!, handles like it is on rails and looks like nothing else. THe only bike that can compete in the looks department is the MV Agusta. I think that you would be very happy with a Duc.
Good luck on your decsion and I am sure that any bike whether Ducati, Honda, Yamaha or GSXR, you will fall in love with.
Jim

Lock the doors, call the police, and bring in the swat team
Jims748duc has entered the room !!!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2002, 11:08 AM

Don't worry about it...

I've owned two Ducati's and NEVER had any problems. Plus I know alot of people with 748\916\996's and never met one who had a problem or regret buying this beautiful machine...

Where you buy it? American Legends from Ryan?

We need to go riding when you get her...

Csilva

Need to ride fast, Need to ride Hard, Just need to ride PERIOD!!!

Other bikes owned 2000 748 and 2000 R6 of course they where all hooked up as well.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2002, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Csilva, YES I would like to meet you and see your bike. I live in The Eagles off of Race Track rd past Tampa Bay Downs horse track. Do you know where that is? There is a great road behind my subdivision called Patterson rd. Sportbike heaven!
Yes, I'm getting my bike from Ryan at American in Sarasota. I called all over got around the same deal but really liked Ryan and they are also the closest.
Call me if you wish...Mike 813-926-1988
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2002, 02:49 PM

Yup I know where that is at, I've never been there usally ride up to Brooksville...I live in Valrico and ride with both the Tampa groups or Lakeland groups, check out sportbikes.net as well.

Keep in touch and let us know how you like the new toy

Seeya Mike
Carlos

Other bikes owned 2000 748 and 2000 R6 of course they where all hooked up as well.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2002, 06:37 PM

Csilva,

You're not allowed to post pics anymore. It has been two days since I decided "Not to think about buying a Duc for another 3 years or so". Now, I find myself browsing Ducati's site in my spare time looking at the same pics I've seen a hundred times.

Love the bike. Unlike a lot of people, I like yellow Ducs. Personally, I like the 748S grey w/ red rims.

"If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score"?
-Vince Lombardi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
www.kcsportbike.com
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2002, 04:19 AM

Three years!!! Are you crazy you could wait that long? Get a second job or something...

Last one - This is of my 748 all done up and yes they do attract lots of chicks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode