Ducati exhaust...slip-ons - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2002, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Ducati exhaust...slip-ons

Does anyone know if stock exhaust mufflers from a '01 748 Ducati will fit a new '02 998. I want to core out some cans for more noise and don't want to spend extra for carbon cans right now. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2002, 05:55 PM

you have a 998 bostrom and your worrying about 700 bucks for new CF exhausts???? thats not kosher just step up to the plate and get yourself a tricked out arrow full system...granted you may never need a full system but hey its that sense of security that counts.....but to answer your question i think the 748 exhausts are smaller that the new 998 exhausts....i know the 998 has termis and 748 just has "ducati" brand exhausts but it seems like they should fit as long as you get the proper clamps
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2002, 09:11 PM

I used a D&D system on my Ducati. First just slip ons, then went to full system. Less money than some competitors, and a great sound. I had the polished aluminum. Screw the carbon fiber, you pay a lot for just plain looks, and if you crash the stuff shatters and you gotta buy new ones. Plus, all the stuff for Ducatis cost way too much.

Some Ducati bike shops sell the Ducati OEM cans with the baffles removed (they usually do it themselves or send it out and then sell it), and that is a nice option to also consider.

Fuster

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster, and treat those two imposters the same....you'll be a Man, my Son!"

- Rudyard Kipling

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-09-2002, 11:33 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Qwak748
damn.... Bostrom 998 with cored cans from a 748....
damn.... that ain't right dude... that just ain't right!!

Lu
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2002, 01:01 AM

You can't just core the cans for more noise with out re mapping the fuel-air mix!!!!! The bike will run too lean and burn a piston! I have a 998 and have gone through much exhaust research and as of now and probably the rest of the year the only exhaust available is from Ducati Performance. Why? Because the 998's have a new 32 bit computer that requires the whole ECU Fuel Control Module to be changed. It can not adjust for free flowing mufflers.

Here are your options:
Aluminum Termignoni Ducati Perf. slip on's and new ECU $1000
Carbon or Titanium Ducati Perf. Slip on's and new ECU $1300
1/2 Carbon or Titanium Ducati Perf. exhaust system and new ECU $1850.
Mike
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-18-2002, 10:36 AM

mdrum is being a little conservative here.

The dealer can adjust the air/fuel mixture through a limited range using the Mathesis, a computer which plugs into the ECU. This will allows enough enrichment to accomodate a change to most aftermarket slip-ons or cored cans. Changing to a half or full exhaust system however does require a matching new ECU. A change to race camshafts plus a full system will require an even different ECU.

Regarding coreing your exhaust cans, here’s a comment by Bruce Meyers, a highly respected Ducati tuner:

“There have been several posts about alternate methods of coring your pipes. FYI, if you chop out a section of the stock internals, you'll get more sound but from our testing, we found that you make LESS power. This is because the mufflers are tuned resonance chambers. When you change the chambers you mess up the tuning and they don't flow as well.”

Ducati engines are the result of countless hours of development work on a dyno. They are designed as a unit with air flow and exhaust flow optimized together for each engine configuration. When you change things like intake and exhaust configurations it’s a hit-and-miss proposition. Many times you make improvements in one RPM range and performance at other speeds decreases. Without dyno before-and-after checks, multiple changes can produce confusing results.

Also, seat-of-the-pants tuning can be misleading. If a change, say, reduces mid-range performance at the expense of high end power the engine feels more peaky and this feels like an improvement. But is it? Strange dips in dyno horsepower and torque curves can and do occur at speeds where you spend most of your time riding.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-19-2002, 05:27 PM
Banned

I'm going to give some very good advice.First of all the Ferracci full system for 998's are done.On backorder right now,but more are coming.Cool your jet's wait till the end of the season(almost over now).Let Dynojet get some R&D done (with Ferracci)and the Power commanders will be ready i'm sure latest being spring-time.It'll save a lot of aggravation and from the solutions i just read alot of money.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-19-2002, 06:39 PM

iccarref1026 - HOLY CRAP! Are you getting paid commission by Ferracci?!?!? It's bad enough that your name is Ferracci spelled backwards, but come on, back off a bit buddy............

My tombstone will read: "It seemed like a good idea at the time."

Last edited by desmo; 08-19-2002 at 06:41 PM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 01:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to lucifer Send a message via Yahoo to lucifer
Wake up and smell the titanium.

There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright red, hunchback, warp-speed 900cc café racer is one of them -- but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one. That is why they are dangerous.
H.S.T.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 04:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by desmo
iccarref1026 - HOLY CRAP! Are you getting paid commission by Ferracci?!?!? It's bad enough that your name is Ferracci spelled backwards, but come on, back off a bit buddy............
actually i could care less what you buy or think.the fact is if you want the best peformance and parts for a ducati that's where you go.so **** off dickhead it happened to be some good advice.now know why i avoid this website for weeks at a time.i will keep my advice to myself from now on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode